Insulating in the Walls

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ImaDufus

When we get back to Florida this season to our mobile home I plan to start removing the panel off the walls and putting up sheetrock. I wanted to put in insulation batting stapled to the studs then cover with the wallboard.

I noticed on a DIY show recently they had used that spray expanding foam to do a similar project.

Any thoughts on which would be the better for insulation quality? Which would be the easiest and least expensive?

Thanks

Tim
Dean2

I would think the spray insul application would add some linear strength in high wind and probably be a good vapor barrier too..As for fiberglass I like working with the white instead of the more itchy yellow or pink. If the foam is rated to the same R-value or higher for the thickness of a wall then I would think it is the higher quality choice but if things(wiring)need work later-on fiberglass might be easier then.

I have 00 experience with the foam other than the occasional can of weatherizing stuff tho.

Dean
Jim from Canada

The spray in foam acts as a vapour barrier too. It is more expensive and, as mentioned, can be a pain if you have to go into the wall for wiring etc. I personally prefer batt insulation, and go toward Roxul brand. It is a celulose insulation treated with boric acid. It is a natural pest repellant and will not mold or mildew. It is also fire resistant. Don't be scared of boric acid, they used to use it to clean infants eyes, so it can be handled safely.

Jim
ImaDufus

Jim from Canada wrote:The spray in foam acts as a vapour barrier too. It is more expensive and, as mentioned, can be a pain if you have to go into the wall for wiring etc. I personally prefer batt insulation, and go toward Roxul brand. It is a celulose insulation treated with boric acid. It is a natural pest repellant and will not mold or mildew. It is also fire resistant. Don't be scared of boric acid, they used to use it to clean infants eyes, so it can be handled safely.

Jim
Jim:

I did a quick google and couldn't find a place to buy Roxul insulation. Is this a common brand/type sold in our US big box stores?

Thanks

Tim
Jim from Canada

Jim from Canada

I have also seen on an American based show of Holmes on Homes, an insulation that is made of denim. It is blue, and made similar to Roxul, except from cotton instead of celulose. Looks interesting but I don't know the brand name. I will try to find out.

Jim
Jim from Canada

http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch.htm.
Here is the link for "ultratouch" insulation, which is the cotton insul. I mentioned
mokehillannie

Jim, that link didn't work for me.
Susan

Jim's link didn't work for me either, so I tried this:

http://www.bondedlogic.com/

and all was fine.
Susan

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Jim from Canada

glad u got it, hope it helps

Jim