installing tile near a fireplace

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda (OH)

Ok, I got some of the safety issues answered... now for the tiling question..

Lowes had an article on installing tile on a fireplace hearth that suggested putting down concrete board over the plywood, and attaching the tile to that.

does anyone with tiling experience think that is necessary?

if so, what is the best way to cut concrete board? (past experience would tell me, not with my circular saw lol)

is mortar used under the tile, and grout between the tiles?

all help and suggestions for this will be appreciated. first time to work with tile for me....

Brenda (OH)
Dean2

Well Brenda I'm just a damn,dumb drywaller[My disclaimer :)] but I would think the cement board is a good idea for bonding and fire protection,,especially if the plywood is'nt fire resistant type. I also think something non-combustible/non-melt to set the tiles with could be good,,is mastic combustible? I dunno... Maybe grout paired with cement board would be best then grouting the gaps to totally seal it off from sparks.. Might be overdoing it but then again??? Layering it all in might help keep the wood from building-up heat wich tends to make it easier for ignition.

Will layering it work with the existing insert or whatever set-up You have? If yes then maybe better safe than sorry. Yer insurance company might like it too!

Dean