Roof coatings

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hvac1000

For years I coated roofs on our types of houses. Now I am to old and overweight to get on the roof so I have a young man at camp that does it for myself and other customers.

Over the years we have used many brands of asphalt roof coatings some were good and some were to thin to do anything but give the roof a little silver color which did not last long.

This year I had 24 customers that wanted there roofs coated/sealed. I thought I would try a different brand to see if I could find a better one. The great news is that I did find a better product.

Cool Seal silver roof coat is just amazing. I have used the white sealer before so I thought I would give there silver stuff a try.

The product is so thick it was very hard to mix but when done mixing the thickness and consistency was unbelievable. It was a
bit heavy-er to apply because the brush weighted so much more than with other sealers. The customers really got a better roof job this time because of the higher quality products.

I just thought I would mention this since many of us here have metal roofs.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Mark
Site Admin

I think I've used something like that before. Not sure it last any longer than the other products tho. Seems like in time it tends to get brittle and crack. But maybe what you used has a more elastomeric formula too it.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
hvac1000

Only time will tell on the cracking part.
hvac1000

Mark. I just got off the phone with the kook Seal people. They make the product that Lowes sells. What I found out was very interesting.

Lowes requested a very high solids formula for there in store Kool Seal brand. The lady at Kool Seal told me that the Lowes Kool Seal products are actually better than what kool Seal sells for themselves to other supply houses.

The Kool Seal product is only guaranteed for 5 years where as the Lowes product is guaranteed for 7 years.
She went on to say that the Lowes brand has 30% more powder aluminum that the kool Seal they sell to every body else.

I new there was something different about the product at Lowes. It was heavier and thicker than any roof product I have ever seen.

According to Kool Seal the Lowes material will hold its silver color much longer than the Kool Seal house brand and that is one of the reasons that can give it another 2 years extra on the warranty.

The lady from Kool Seal says that the Lowes product is manufactured at a different time than there other roof coats because there are also other changes in the formula that enhance the Lowes product. She also said that the cost to manufacture the Lowes brand is much higher and Lowes was not to worried about the cost they just wanted a superior product to sell that the competition cannot get. The cost a Lowes is about 50.00 per 5 gallon pail which is a very reasonable price for the quality you are getting.

I figured there was something different about this product so I called and go the strait story.
Last edited by hvac1000 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrfixit64857

I have used Lowe's sealer before on my roof. I was very impressed and two seasons later it still works great. I realize 2 seasons isn't all that long, but my home is in a high wind area and is an older model and is VERY Flexible. I put the new sealer right over the old stuff, too.
about 10 years ago in my last home I used "SNOWROOF" over my metal shop roof; it worked OK, but cost me 4 times what this lowe's product did!