What kind of tub?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

stillworking

What is the current thinking on tub replacements? In my area, I can buy the standard size plastic-type for $124 or the fiberglass for $244. This is going into a rental, so it certainly won't be taken care of. If I bought the plastic, could it be made stronger by spraying the underside with non-expanding foam? Many thanks for your thoughts.
Yanita

Hi,

This is just my opinion and I am sure you will get more. Basically you get what you pay for.

A cheap plastic tub is just that, it will not hold up. To put styrofoam underneath is how these homes come thru to begin with, and as you see they don't last.

For the time and money involved in the replacement I would personally go with the better unit and at least have piece of mind that it will hold up better than plastic.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
stillworking

Pretty much what I thought, although I have one 1984 model home that has original tubs and they're still in fairly good condition. On one hand the rental pool I have to draw from doesn't deserve the good tub, but I'm the one who has to deal with repairs, not them. Guess I'll pony up for the fiberglass. :(
JD
Site Admin

You did not mention the size of the tub. If you can fit a 54x32 or a 60x32, you can get a white enameled steel tub for under $150. These are the type that can chip and leave a black spot, but it won't break or crack. I would think that the finish is stronger than gelcoat or the finish on an abs tub. What the heck are people dropping in these tubs that can chip them anyways? They make shower brushes out of plastic, leave the power tools in the shed!!

If you must have a 27" tub, you are pretty much stuck with mobile home tubs.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Archie

No matter what tub you decide to go with it will only be as good as its foundation. Since you are going through so much work anyway now would be a perfect time to replace the floor decking with treated plywood or better yet a cement board. It would also be a good time to inspect pipes, insulation, and the belly of the home. Once the tub is in it all has to be done from down under after that.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Greg

I would use fiberglass if you can find the right size, the job is bad enough to do once, why risk having to do twice? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
stillworking

All of you are so right on! Yes, unfortunately, the tub is standard mobile home - 54x27 - I bought the fiberglass replacement today. I did tear everything out and glad I did because the floor underneath does need replacing. Bought good Moen faucet/shower set at Lowes which I am hoping will last a long time. The surround is the problem now. The mobile home supply place has a one piece fiberglass that would be perfect, except for the price - $230!!!