Granite countertops

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texasprairierose

I did a search on granite counter tops and didn't find anything so I hope that I am not posting something that has already been answered.

We have an Oak Creek double wide mobile home. We special ordered it and have had it for 15 years and we have constantly been upgrading it. About 10 years ago, we had a garage and basement built and over the last five years, we have removed 20 windows and replaced them with double hung storm windows, replaced all of the exterior doors, put laminate floors down in the kitchen, laundry and guest bath room, and had a concrete front porch and sidewalks poured.

We have ceramic counter tops in the kitchen and master bath and since the house is 15 years old, it is time to start thinking about updating those. We have looked at several different options and are seriously thinking about having granite counter tops installed. Has anyone done this in a mobile home?

We are kind of concerned about the weight. However, our home is constructed with 2 x 6's instead of 2 x 4's so we wondered if that would make a difference.

We would love to hear any thoughts or ideas!
Greg

Hi & welcome. You are correct about the weight issue. I just read an artical in one of the handyman mags about using granite tile, the cost was less and the weight should also be less.
I have done 2 ceramic tile counter tops in ours with no problems. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Archie

I would think that the cabinet construction would be the biggest issue. Whether or not the cabinets could support the weight. Most mobile home cabinets I have come across would most likely not be suitable for the granite counter top.

As far as the floor goes. I would think that as long as the cabinets are perpendicular to the direction the floor joists are running the overall footprint of the counter top would actually be much bigger than most aquariums that people own, thus spreading the weight over a larger area. I don't foresee the weight being an issue for the floor ( just my opinion though).
Experience is what you get after you need it.
JD
Site Admin

What Archie said about the mobile home cabinets is certainly true. But maybe with such a nice countertop, you are planning on new cabinets also. If not, maybe you should consider it.

There are other things you can do to beef up the floor framing in the area of the cabinets. You could add blocking to the floor joists to ensure they they don't twist. While you are at it, replace the particle board subfloor with plywood, if it isn't already. This is in case you have a plumbing leak in the future, you would have a much better chance at saving the floor. Pulling the countertop and cabinets would not be so fun.

You could also add some piers and 4x4s for additional support for the countertop. This will add it's own problem in needing to keep your home leveled. Two sets of piers may not be level, but they still create a straight line. Three sets of piers out of level will argue with each other. But this is what people with edge piers have to be concerned with also, so it is a totally doable thing. I have added piers and beams for additional support to top load washer/dryers. Helped reduce the vibration a lot. I have also added piers to support a grand piano.

Just some ideas to think about.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
masswood

Hello, Remember the countertops that you have now are likely to be particle board, which in itself is very heavy. I am not sure how much slab granite weighs,but My personel opinion is that it would not be a problem. Providing you have decent cabinets.

Joe
texasprairierose

Thank you to everyone that responded to our question. We were originally thinking about the granite tiles but after talking to people that had them in their stick built houses and later wished that they had gone with the slab, we started looking at granite slabs.

Yanita, sorry! I posted my question in error in two different areas, but our house is not on a permanent foundation but it is blocked very well around the perimeter.

We talked to the guy that we are thinking of buying the granite from and he didn't think it would be a problem but I guess that we won't really know until he can come look at the cabinets. Our cabinet doors themselves are solid oak but we understand what y'all are saying about the infrastructure.

If we go with the granite slab, we will take some pictures and post them!
Yanita

Hi,

No problem, I posted my opinion/thoughts. :D Everyone over hear has said the same as I.

Not sure what the complaints are on the granite tiles...but I can tell you this about the granite slab tops...they require alot of maintenance and you need to be very careful about not setting raw meats on them, ALWAYS use a cutting board for anything, they do stain and the do scratch very easily. I know this as I have a Residental Cleaning Business.

If you go with the granite slab, I suggest a lighter colored one, blacks and darker colors show every spot, scratch etc....

My only remaining question is how much counter space do you have, do you have a huge center island, breakfast bars as well as counter tops? What are your finished floors, hopefully not a stone product as well. Just trying to get the full picture of what you are doing as well as a total weight.

Use caution when salesmen tells you "Yes, it can be done" generally they have no or next to no knowledge of MH construction. Someone above mentioned the direction of your floor joist and makiong sure that your counters sat perpendicular to the joist...follow the advice given here and you should be fine. Your cabinet doors are of no structural value. You need to make sure that the base cabinets are very solid.

Good luck and keep us informed, would love to see pics of your finished product.

Happy Halloween

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
texasprairierose

Yanita,

I appreciate your input! The slab that we are looking at is very light with some gold in it.

We have right at 50 square feet of counter space; that includes an island with a range and a bar area. After reading the posts last night, we looked at the construction of the cabinets and island. The cabinets seem to be more structurally sound than the island, so if we decide to do the slab, we may have to take some of the advice and reinforce that area.

As far as the floor goes, we have oak colored wood laminate. That is one reason I wanted a lighter color on the counter tops; with the oak colored floor and the oak colored cabinets, I was afraid of a dark color on the counter tops making the room too dark. However, with 28 windows in our house, it can't get very dark.

Thanks again!