Electrical outlet and switch questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AnnieL

Hello,

My name is Annie and I'm new here...it's really nice to find a forum that deals with "my" house!

I have a triple wide 3 bdrm 2 bath on a permanent foundation, it is 1989 Fleetwood, has separate laundry room, etc. It's about 1800 SF.

I am doing some upgrades (putting in new flooring-I'm putting in Alloc laminate flooring ) and painting over this GAWDAWFUL wallboard paper-I can't stand it another minute!!

Removing all these "strips" and filling all the seams in, then priming, etc. is one heck of a chore...

I have these weird outlets-several of them are worn out and they look cheap-and I want to replace them. They are "self-contained" and have these snap on covers. I want to go to "regular" outlets for a couple of reasons.

1. They look better and I have a lot more design choices.

2. They are a LOT less expensive than these self-contained things.

3. I hate how the covers (or the whole outlet for that matter) seems to pop out of the wall. I think it is a bad design. The people who lived here before me used some sort of adhesive to keep the covers on-or the outlet in the wall if they came loose.

I want to get rid of ALL of them-toggle switches (several worn out) outlets, ...and put in regular outlets but the holes in the walls holding the self contained outlets are too large to sink in the screws. Can I use a box of some sort? I have 3 wire romex going to the outlets.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Yes, you can put the standard work box & switches. Be sure to use the screws to make the connections and not the push in. The only problem you may have is when you have 3 cables in the box, use wire nuts & a pigtail to go to the outlet. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Archie

Hi Annie,

My name is Archie and I am currently doing the same exact thing you are inquiring about, although somewhat slowly since I broke my left wrist. If you keep an eye on this post for the next few days I will take pictures of the electric boxes, switches, plates, and the tools I am using to make the swap of the outlets and switches. I will also include some step by step pics just for reference.

All the items needed I purchased from Menards, to do my entire 16X70 home the cost was less than $100. You may need a couple specialty tools but they are also fairly inexpensive.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Yanita

Hi Archie,

Although you are certainly welcome to post your pics in this post..would you mind including them in the general album in the "Interior Projects Section". This would be great so that others can use the info and we don't have to try to find this post several months from now.

Thanks and Happy Halloween,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

As you requested I posted the pics in the interior projects section. Just click on the album link above and you can view them. I may add them to this post later but for now that will have to do. Hope that it helps.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Yanita

Hi Archie,

Thanks so much for the pic contributions, they should help several folks!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!