odd siae water heater door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda (OH)

early research makes it look like I may need to build my own exterior replacement water heater door. it is about 28 wide by about 36 inches high, with hinges on top.

I bought some pressure treated wood slats (6 inches by about 1/2 inch thick by 36 inches long) that I let sit to get the moisture balanced.

I was thinking of putting them side by side, with a board width wide to attach them to.

I now am considering placing a layer of reinforced fiber glass paneling on the inside and outside layer of the door, then the attaching the side to side board.

the part I am not sure on is if I need to insulate this door also, and what might be the best way to do that. 1 by 2 frame with r13 insulation? foam board? (I have the roll insulation, i would have to buy a sheet of the foam board) craft foam board of some kind from a hobby store?

and what type of exterior paint is best for pressure treated wood?

1/2 plywood patch added to the old door did not make a good fix, it warped over the summer. but I did not get it painted after it was installed, once I saw the hinges the repair fellow picked up were not going to last long and the door did not fit well.

Brenda
Archie

First, it is not reccommended to paint pressure treated wood until it has aged at least a year. This allows the chemicals in the wood time to dry and leach out.

Second, if you have a gas water heater I would stay away from fiberglass insulation. The loose weave of the insulation could become a fire hazard. I would insulate with a good foam board, possibly some foam pipe wrap, and if possible a water heater blanket. Keep the area around the pilot light clear.

If it is an electric heater you can be a bit more aggressive with the insulation.
Experience is what you get after you need it.