Speaking Of Windows-Plexiglass?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

76artcraft

Hi,

Just wondering if it is OK to use plexiglass on the outside storm windows?
and is it as good as the glass as far as keeping the cold out?
(not that my windows really keep the cold out)
(I'll still have to use removable caulk and plastic for the winter)

I have the old kind of windows that looks like there's storm windows on inside and outside. This would be just for the outside windows.
Getting aggravated because I just replaced the glass in the one this summer and now it's cracked again -my fault this time, because I put a wooden pole above it to wedge the window shut, for security reason's.

Thanks
Sam
Greg

Sam, as far as I know there is no difference as far as insulation properties go you will need to make sure they are caulked & sealed either way you go. One problem that people do have with plexi is they tend to yellow over time.
If you have basic carpentry skills you may want to think about changing the whole window. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Archie

Plexi glass can still crack and break especially in the cold winter weather. It will become brittle like vinyl or plastics. It will also scratch fairly easily during cleanings. If it were me I would replace with glass.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Lorne

I replaced a lower class of a double hung window with a 20 x 30 inch piece of Plexiglas, Glazers Points and putty. The window lasted over 20 years before I shoved a couch into it. It is now very much lighter to lift because of the weight difference.

If you clean it you might check into a specific cleaner made for Plexiglas.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
76artcraft

Hi,
Thanks for all the input.
I'm still weighing the pros and cons, but leaning more toward glass.

Sam