Heat Pump going in as I type

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

It's Christmas in our house today.

One-Hour is installing our new heat pump a week earlier then we anticipated.
These guys put on plastic "Booties" each and every time they come inside. They don't even take breaks.

Old Return air duct was only 12" in diameter and the new on is 13" x 18".

New Programmable thermostat,that talks to you yet. Big fiberglass pad [looks like concrete] for the unit, compared to the 4 stepping stones that supported the old a/c unit. The 4 rubber vibration pad were still in the dirt underneath the old unit.

I'll let you know what happens later.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Lorne

9am to 2pm without a break and it is in.

a/c turns out a ton of water and BLOWS so hard compared to the old unit.

Has an outrigger filter that is 25 inches square and 5 inches deep built on the rear of the unit.
It says to change once a year and no inside return air filter is needed.

I love the talking thermostat and it even "Talks" you through the setting, step by step.

On Wednesday they come to clean out all the ducts and sanitize them.
Expensive, but darn well worth ever penny and we don't have to pay for one year.
Of course you PAY for the 10 year parts and labor in the price. Nothings free.

Now we need some cold weather to see how the heat works. It's around 75degrees today.

Have a good day.

One Hour does what they advertise. :lol:Image
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
chasMB

Please let us know how the duct cleaning goes. I have heard good and bad about getting that done. Some torn up ducts and some not.
Thanks
Lorne

sure will.
They said they use a camera that goes inside the ducts first that shows the condition and search for "stuff", then they clean and sanitize.

With more then double the air output from the registers, my wife hears a "ticking" from the vents. It's probably "stuff" like leaves and miscellaneous old varmints.
Lorne

They cleaned them today.
They hooked up the vacuum sucker outside to the main system duck. Blocked off each inside vent and one by one used compressed air to dislodge any stuff. They also used a camera to see down the ducts, but saw practically nothing.

They also crawled underneath to inspect the ducts and connecting tubes.

They washed all the floor vent covers and disinfected them along with spraying through the main system.

Took around 3 hours cause they had trouble starting the air compressor.

Pretty good looking for 21 years old.

If I hadn't had a whole new system installed with all this included, they would have charged around $500, or there abouts.

Nothing is ever as cheap as I expect it should. but it was WELL worth every penny.

I could have done without the fancy programmable thermostat, but us old folks have to get used to this new age.

I would recommend One Hour to anyone.

Have a good day.
mokehillannie

Lorne,
Could you give me an idea what this all cost as I'm sure we are going to have to get a new unit for our old 1971 mobile in the very near future.
Lorne

The original price quote was $8300 with $1000 off for the advertised special then another $1000 off for our 2 year old unit in trade [looked like new]

This set us back $6300 in the end, which included:
5 yr labor and 5 yr parts warranty.
free cleaning and filters once a year.

All these guys new their business though and did very neat work.

Another company quoted "roughly" $4500, but that was without on-site examination of what was actually going to be needed. Just a salesman on the phone. Yeah Right.

We have one year before payment is due.

You can buy these units online and save money and have a friend install them, but it's not recommended.

Don't forget that, anything that is included FREE, like service, parts and labor,you are actually paying for in the price.

You might get away with a smaller unit and opt-out for any extras. Call around and have some reps actually come out to see what you need. Over the phone estimates are like calling a car dealer to get a price.

Good luck.