Help! skirting blew away and it's FREEZING out!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crowitch77

it's windy as a tornado out, it's cold (about 23 degrees WITHOUT The wind) and some of my skirting blew off. i tried to put it back but the ground is to frozen and i bent one of them really bad. there is a hole about 4 ft long on one side of my house now. i am scared my pipes will freeze. i'm scared I will freeze. please tell me i am over reacting and this can wait till at least tomorrow or the next day (when the weather gets better)

???????????
Archie

Of course covering the hole somehow would be preferred. Even if it doesn't block it all the way keeping as much wind and cold out is the key.

If not then there really isn't much you can do. As long as your heat tape is working properly, the pipes are insulated, and your belly is in good shape you should be ok unless the temps drop much below zero.

I would turn the furnace up a few extra degrees, run the water every few hours at all taps, and keep a sharp ear out for the sound of running water under the home.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
crowitch77

what's heat tape?

see, this is my first home. and i am all alone and have no idea what i am doing.

this was such a mistake.
Archie

A heat tape is the cord that wraps around your main water pipe coming into your home. It should be covered with insulation and possibly plastic but have an electrical plug sticking out that plugs into an outlet underneath the home. This is what keeps the pipe from freezing.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
crowitch77

ok thank you. i will have to look into this when i get home from work tomorrow. i am so worried that i might skip work and see if there isn't anything i could possibly try to attempt on my own.
Furball

Get some plywood and some concrete blocks. Put the plywood over the gap in the skirting. Stack the blocks against the plywood at either end to keep it from blowing off.