Coleman Presidential 6800 Maintenance & Thermostat

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

CantusPro

First, hello!

I’d like to remove some of the dog hair I suspect has accumulated in my furnace blower. The logo reads “Coleman Presidential”, and the hand written model number inside is 6806 732.

Assuming the moving parts are behind the lower cover, I’m asking first for safety reasons. It’s an electric furnace. I don’t want to burn my house down, and I REALLY don’t want to get “zapped”.

If I turn the furnace off, let it stop blowing, turn off the breakers in the furnace (they’re exposed when I remove the panel to change filters) and turn off the furnace breaker in the main breaker box, should I be able to remove the 2 screws that look like they’re holding the lower furnace cover panel…and vacuum the motor, fan, etc. if they look like they need it?

We have 2 fuzzy dogs, and the furnace has started to make a sound when it starts up that seems like back pressure. All the floor vents are open except one, and opening that one doesn’t eliminate the sound. We also change the filters monthly when we use the furnace, and that doesn’t eliminate the sound. I’ll probably remove the floor vent covers while I’m at it and snake out the ducts with our vacuum hose.

After we decide if I can clean my ducts and blower, can I replace my mercury switch thermostat with a digital, programmable thermostat? I tried to buy one when they were on sale last year, and the salesman talked me out of it. He said I had to know the thermostat wire gage before I shopped. Our original thermostat has probably been replaced because we have 1 nonfunctioning thermostat near the furnace and second further down a hallway. I can pull out a pair of calipers and gage the wire if that’s what it takes.

Basically, can I safely inspect my furnace motor, and can I install a digital thermostat?

Thank you,

Cantus
Robert

Hi,

Go here and read these articles for great info to most of your questions:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

Turning the main service panel breaker(s) for furnace OFF and turning breakers inside furnace OFF and also turning t-stat OFF,,,,,SHOULD turn off all power.

However, best to still check with a meter in case of shorts bypassing a breaker.

MOST t-stat are wired with 18AWG, but you only need to know what type system you have to purchase a t-stat.

For a digital, programmable t-stat, get a battery operated one that is compatible with your heat and a/c needs.

For best results, go to a HVAC Supply and get a White Rodgers or Honeywell.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
CantusPro

Thanks so much for the fast response. I’m sorry it took so long to say thank you.

The link is perfect. Now, I wish I would have searched the site instead of only searching the forums. Thanks again for the help. It’s exactly what I needed.

-Cantus
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?