Vinyl siding repair help needed

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

larryp

Hello all, New member as of today. Really glad to have found this site. I hope someone will give me some links to previous posts concerning horizontal vinyl siding repair. Mine is loose in a number of places. Strangely enough, there seems to be little information available on the web. I have searched the Repair forum using a number of search terms and not found any specific posts. Thanks all, Larry
Greg

Hi & welcome. Vinyl siding is vinyl siding. It goes on the same way as stickbuilt does. If possible I would wait untill warmer weather before attempting any repairs. they make tools avalable at most home centers to help unlock the sections so you can get to the nails. Remember not to nail them too tight, they need to be able expand & contract with the temp. changes. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

[/url]http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications ... nglish.pdf

These instructions may help. There is a l lot of info out there but it is hard to dig out.

I have some sections where a long strip wasn't long elough to make it to the next stud so they left it hanging and the over lapping piece was never nailed down. This is the way is was done over twenty years ago.
I should have stripped it all off and started over, but I just did it section by bad section.

I was afraid to bend too hard, but it is quite flexible, but ONLY when it's warm out and not freezing cold.

A trick for nailing so the nail doesn't go in too tight is to cut a small piece of scrap vinyl, cut a "V" notch in it and place it behind the nail head as you hammer it in.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
larryp

Thanks all. Vinyl siding link very helpful. The local Lowes does not stock siding nor tools, I'll try Home Depot. Larry
JD
Site Admin

If you have trouble finding one locally, do a search on Hechinger Malco Sidesweeper

There are 2 models, the SRT1 and SRT2. They both work the same way. I like SRT2 better. It is straight and works better for me.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.