Help Please - Possible starting problem w/ Mod #:DGAT056BDD

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mtor9477

Hello Mark,

I'm a newbie to this site and am glad to have found it.

I have a Coleman Evcon Model #: DGAT056BDD furnace in my manufactured home. It's a vacation home and I keep the digital thermostat set at 40degF during the winter months to preserve any food/drink, keep in warm enough to heat back up when visited during the winter, and to help keep any trapped water in the lines to freeze after blow-out.

I recently came back from the home and noticed a buzzing sound from the furnace. It seemed as if it was trying to start up. I know it stopped running correctly as the thermostat showed 30degF. I tried adjusting the temp on the thermostat with no luck. I then cycled it on/off at the thermostat and it worked. I was present for the weekend with no problems of the furnace operating...I'm afraid, however, that it'll do the same again after I left.

Any ideas as to what it may be? I know there a probably alot of variables without proper troubleshooting and I'm a bit new to the HVAC world but can make my way around with some help.

Thanks in advance!

~Mark
Robert

Hi Mark,

Not sure and don't like to just guess at it. Could though have something to do with the low setting of t-stat and home .

Cold temps inside and outside can play havoc on electrical components and furnaces in general.

You would have to be testing during malfunction to know for sure what the fault is.

If concerned, have a Tech look it over.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mtor9477

Robert, maybe you can provide some advice on a unit I'm interested in purchasing. It's a previously used (manufactured in 1994) INPUT 56,000 BTU- OUTPUT 46,000, MODEL # DGAT056BDC
heat/ac unit. Mine is the DGAT056BDD heat only model manufactured in 1997. The seller claims the unit in perfect working condition both heat/cool mode and comes with the outside condensor. He's asking $500 for it. Is it worth purchasing and replacing my current unit for the a/c add-on? For spare parts? What do you think?

Thanks again in advance!

~Mark
Robert

Hi Mark,

Were you planning to add a/c ?

To do so, you need a Manual J Load Calc done to know correct size.

His may not be right for your home.

At 13 years old, the a/c part is short lived UNLESS he has replaced alot of parts.

At 13 years old, furnace is running nose to nose with a/c.

IF a/c is correct size, you could get it and use it for as long as it holds up.

Keep your current furnace and use his for parts.

You MAY get $500 worth of time out of them.

If a/c is wrong size, I'd say no.

I wouldn't replace your furnace with one 3 years older.

I would not pay until inspected and run.

At 13 years, compressor probably has weak valves and heat exchanger in furnace at close proximity to show cracks possibly.

He obviously replaced them, if in TOP shape, he wouldn't have.

Myself, I would have to know they were operational now first and then wouldn't go above $200 max. for all of it.

It is 13 years old.

You have probably caught on by now to the 13 years old part. LOL.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?