The money pit...lol

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dirty White Boy

Hello everyone out there!!

Wow, do I have alto to say and questions to ask...

I'll start out by saying I just bought a 1974 12x60 m.h. that has been neglected. Apparently not knowing what I was getting into or just feeling like I needed to be punished for something I decided it was worth an entire renovation...LMAO

I knew the entire time it needed to be level and for the past 2 weeks while searching for someone who could help me out a lil bit during the winter months to get it straightened out a bit, I was busy doing the demo which leads me to...
Question #1
What the heck are clutch head screws and why is the ENTIRE home put together with this hard to find tool?

Found 1 at ace hardware after a few days of research.

Anyways, I took down some walls, gutted the entire kitchen and bath, pulled up carpet...etc.

Problems...I can't find anyone to touch the level problem until spring. She doesn't have to be perfect but she's dropped in the back and twisted a lil bit. I was considering grabbing some 10 ton bottle jacks and blocks and trying to at least get it somewhat close. Kinda being paranoid about the frame slipping off one of the other blocks and crushing me though, might ruin christmas.

The windows have a slow leak when it rains, seems to have been happening for a while.

Am I stuck pulling off the paneling and rebracing the kitchen wall to replace the upper cabs with cheapies from Lowes?

Does anyone make the in wall vent fans for the kitchens anymore?

I know I have more questions but that's enough for now...any help would be great guys.
Demolition

You could put some blocks under the frame for Re-enforcement, until the professionals come in at Springtime.

You would not have to raise the house, which is a dangerous evolution. Just put down some 16x16x4 concrete pads, some 8x8x16 blocks and some wooden boards on top of the blocks, then make some wedges and hammer them in just between the wooden block and the frame.

Also if you are worried about the house shifting, don't stomp or play Disco until it gets re-leveled.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Lorne

clutch head screws
Originated by United Screw and Bolt. The recess in clutch heads looks like a bowtie. In a pinch, a clutch head screw can be driven by a slotted screwdriver. A worn tip on a driver can easily be restored by grinding off the end. Clutch head screws were popular in mobile home construction and electric motors. The size is the diameter in inches of the bit point.

1⁄8″, 5⁄32″, 3⁄16″, 1⁄4″, 5⁄16″

Shows all types of screw head designs.
http://www.sizes.com/tools/screw_drive.htm
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
skunkman

Hi DWB.
We both must be bruts for punishment because I'm about in the same mess you are. Bathroom's tore up, kitchen sink & cabinets out, carpet tore off the floors but hey, I have new windows!
Lorne

As men we always need some things torn up and in the process of being improved.
It make us feel needed. yes dear, it will be finished very soon..........NOT.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

DWB, Welcome. Many hardware stores as well as Sears, Lowes & H.D. carry the clutch head tips, if nothing else, Snap on tools.
My FIRST recomendation to you is to buy yourself a copy of Mark's book, Mark is the site owner and has written a book based on what he does every day It is geared for the DYI in a generic manner. look in the "Books & parts" section of the site. It also covers how to level you home. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dirty White Boy

LOL...yea, it's been a learning experience. Tomorrow the tub insert goes in, the rear of the M.H. is gonna get evened out the best I can, toilet gets moved over 1 1/2 feet and whatever else I have time for...
Furball

It's essential to do some leveling before you do anything else. Anything done before it is level may crack, break, get stuck or not work properly after the relevel.
Dirty White Boy

...back to the money pit.lol

Does anyone know of a replacement vent fan for the bathroom ceiling that has a light included? I have found quite a few but none of them have the circular exhaust like the one already there. Realized that the bathroom ceiling seems to be the only one that is sagging so I guess it'll be coming down...

Well I got the MH pretty darn close to straight today, still going to have to be expertly finished come spring time.

I seem to be fighting with tons of lil leaks were the horizontal panels outside meet eachother. Gutters maybe? Considering when MH gets leveled in spring to install gutters and make a "lip" of some sort that goes from the roof to the gutter, then having the roof done over and covering the strips as well...any thoughts?

This whole thing has been a learning experience for me, but pretty enjoyable. I also installed a ceiling light in the living room where there wasn't one before. I bought this lil gadget and it made the job so much easier. Now I can turn the light on from either side of the living room instead of tripping over everything in the middle of the night...

http://www.smarthome.com/2531w.html

Well...Merry christmas eve almost guys...
Yanita

Hi,

If you already have the little "V" shaped gutters original to the home, you can install traditional house gutters directly underneath your existing ones. Once installed you can bend the old gutter front edge down so the water will then run from your roof into the new gutter.

When done be sure to check old caulking for cracks, if needed remove old caulking and replace with a neoprene caulking.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Here is a 7" round MH fan. I have used Star Supply before and received good service.

JD

http://www.starsupplyusa.com/catalog_i5 ... tId=195652
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Dirty White Boy

Just found the one I wanted with a light...

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchan ... ct_Count=2

...thanks for looking though.

I think I chased down all the leaks today. Almost time to start laying down new luan to prepare for carpet and lino.