What is the plastic piece that goes inside window frame

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

If i replace the exterior windows with new glass there is a plastic piece that goes inside the aluminum part of the window frame? Does anyone know what it is called(gasket, etc.) and where is can get more of it? It looks like the glass piece rested on it instead of being caulked/puttied in.
Greg

The plastic piece is what holds the glass in place. You could try a glass shop for one, or possibly auto supply and try some windshield adhisive. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

That piece is a rubber glazing spline. As Greg said, a window/glass shop would be where to look. Actually, if you want to repair a broken mobile home aluminum window, I'd recommend removing the window and taking it to a glass/window shop. Let them cut the glass and repair the window it for you.

If you take the window to them, it is usually a pretty inexpensive repair. You would want to make arrangements with the glass company to repair your window quickly so you can reinstall it the same day.

With vinyl window taking over the window market, shops that actually repair windows are harder to find. But they are out there.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.