I have a Coleman/Evcon EB20B that the element in the bottom

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

knix

position not working.

We were all set to order a new element from your website when my husband said, why don't we move the bottom element to the top and see what happens then. Well its the bottom position that is not working.

Last month we used twice as much electricity than we have ever used (4 years same MH). We had noticed a bit cooler in the house but hadn't really noticed the furnace turning on alot. That is where we started troubleshooting. We read your forums and thought it was probably an element (3500-4101) I pulled the furnace apart being careful to turn power off etc, marked the wires(took pictures too) We looked at the coils and we could find no defects. we put it back together and in doing so I had to push the fan to the front so I could match up the metal tab on the element to the slit in the back of the unit. Brainstorm at this time, what if we turn on the furnace and I can see if they turn orange with heat. So that is how we know that the bottom position isnt working. (I checked and re-seated all wire connections.

What do I need to do/buy to install to get the bottom coil to turn on?

thank you

Knix. :? :?
Robert

Jumper across the Limit switch on the face plate of element and see if it works then.

If not, probably a faulty sequencer.

Sequencer #3120A3571 on left side of page here:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanElec.html

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
knix

Thanks for the reply, I ordered the sequencer today.

I feel comfortable replacing and looking at parts while the power is off. But I think to "jumper across" would require that i attach a wire from one place and bypass the limit switch. and then turn power back on.

If the sequencer is not the problem I will post again. If it fixes my problem i will also reply

~~~~thanks again,

Knix
Robert

Thanks for ordering. Yep, there are two terminals on the limit, you attach a wire from one terminal to the other.

Do this with power OFF, then turn back on.

You can also remove power, mark where they go and remove wires

and then ohm across the terminals for resistance with power OFF.

A reading on a digital meter or needle movement from an analog meter means it is closed and has continuity as it should.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
knix

We got the sequencer installed, but we still have troubles. Before, when we looked in the furnace both top coils were hot orange, and the bottom two coils were dark.

Now the top coil is dark, second coil is orange, 3rd coil is orange, and the 4th coil is dark. now one coil of each element is working???

I haven't tried the jumper thing yet, I have a multi meter with a battery in it. I think that is what I need to do the checking that you are suggesting. let me know. OR if it means it needs new jumpers, that would be fine too.

Thank you so much for your assistance with this.
Knix
Robert

Hi,

Be sure wiring is correct on sequencer. The jumper was for testing the limit only.

You can also ohm the limit for continuity to see if it is closed.

This sounds like a possible miswire at sequencer.

See if you are reading 240vac at all elements with a call for heat after 2 minutes.

Thanks,
Robert
knix

Thankyou Robert,

We found the wiring issue, and it looks like we have our regular heat again, we now realize that our furnace was only blowing luke warm air thru the vents.

Our wiring problem was that one of the wires to the elements was not connected, it had fallen off during the process of installing the new sequencer. (It was a yellow one hidden behind many other wires)

Thanks again,
Knix aka Holly :)
Robert

Hi Holly,

You're very welcome, sounded like a miswire or wiring problem. It happens when you have tight quarters and lots of wires.

Glad you found it and all is well again. Enjoy the extra heat.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert