coleman furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

pumpkin

I have a coleman furnace model 8632, series 776. It is located in an exterior cabinet of my 1973 mobile home. I have covered all the floor vents with new carpeting/vinyl. My plan is this: when looking at the heater from the outside, on the left wall on the inside is a hutch with drawers. I plan to removea drawer stack and install a return air gille in its place. I will run a flexible vent pipe under the house from this location where the drawers use to be and cut into the bottom of the pan under the heater where the fan motor is.
In theory I believe this will work. What do you think? Also. what about duct size, return air vent size. etc. Looking for assistance and advice. I have not done this before. Thanks
Robert

Hi,

Is your home a downflow unit with floor registers ?

Mobile Home units are alot different from conventional housing units and it would require an experienced person to do some tests and calculations to get needed info that most likely will not work in the end.

Not something I would advise or be able to help with for DIY.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
pumpkin

Robert,
The floor registers are the return air system. The heat registers are in the ceiling, so I guess you call that an upflow unit. Since I covered the floor return registers, I thought the system that I described might work, since I would be creating a new air return. My home is 24' x 57' with 8' ceilings.

Looking forward to your reply, Dennis
Robert

Hi,

IF you have combustion air properly available,then it could possibly work.

You would still need to have it tested to determine correct return airflow needed and then ensure you have return grille with adequate free air space.

You would also need to be sure the duct matched that airflow and had no kinks or restrictions in it.

If your floor registers are returns, then you should already have an opening at furnace for return air.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?