Help w/ closet racks

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

help4MH

Hi you guys,
I have a problem, and don’t know what to do. I came home yesterday, long story, but I sat down for a bit of "time off" and everything in my closet , that was hung, and put up on the top of the "white fake?metal rods " that hold the clothes,(in the MH closets), and are toggle bolted into the sheet-rock, w/ 2 bars underneath for support , just caved. It ALL came down.

So I'm looking at a dime to quarter size hole where the toggle bolt pulled thru the sheet-rock, all the way, I can stick my finger thru the hole and feel the insulation. And spent all yesterday moving all the "stuff", I'm thinking, 'I don't know HOW to put a new "rack" on for clothes. It's a double layer thingy, the bottom you hang the clothes the top you put duffel bags or stuff on. I maybe overloaded it, but the stuff has been there for 11 yrs. So I'm wondering,

1)how do I patch the hole? Can I use something as small as Spackle putty? It is a hole thru the whole sheet-rock.

2) IF I do that, can I hang a new clothes rack there? And will it hold?; Where would I buy the stuff to hang a new clothes rack and the bars that go thru the sheet-rock? And what would I buy? Is this something I can do myself? Or should I try and hire someone? I have NO idea what I’m doing.

3)Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks.
Barbara
Greg

Barbara, since it is a closet, I think I would do away with the sheetrock and put in 1/2" plywood or T111. that way you would have a solid wall to start with when you add shelves. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Hey Barbara,

Long time no see. Another idea would be to run a 1x4 all the way across the end walls where the old rods were. This would cover the holes and give you something to to hang your closet rod supports from. You can also just drill a 1" or so hole on one side and cut in a "U" shaped channel on the other side to receive the closet rod. Paint the 1x4 white or the color of the wall and you are set. Try to find a stud in middle of the end wall to screw the 1x4 to, or you can use 2-3 wall anchors. There will be wall framing in the corners of the closet to attach to.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
help4MH

Thank you both for your replies. I don't have much time to do this, but both are great ideas. I'd like to go w/ the easiet , for now. In time I can figure something better. Like your idea Greg, about putting 'real wood" up for the whole closet.

But the idea about putting a 1/4 across is good, actually , real good, and simple. My question is, will it hold the clothes rack? If the "togle or molly bolt? whichever it is" (its a small screw w/ a metal anchor on it that opens once it goes thru the sheetrock.) So if it pulled out of the sheetrock, will the sheetrock wall be strong enough to hold a 1"x4", then a closet frame attached to that? Then clothes and my "stuff" ontop of that? It used to hold it, for 11 yrs. I guess one wash too many ! (My washing maching shakes the whole MH-and that's when it came down.) So would that, the 1x4 hold it? The frame was held by 2 bars underneath. A very simple, inexpensive, MH thing that came w/ the MH when I bought it in '96. I"d love to put cabinets and renovate the whole thing, but I'm a bit tied up for now. Maybe this summer.

So, if I were to go w/ the 1x4 , I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "u shaped" channel? Are you talking about cutting a sm. U shape in the wood before attaching it, for the frame to lay into?

I just took some photos of the closet , I'll try to get the photos to show you the "type" of closet frame it is. Thanks again. I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful. Thanks.
Barbara
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel
JD
Site Admin

This should work for you if you find a stud somewhere in the middle of that closet end wall. Even if there is no stud, screwed to the framing at each end, and 2 wall anchors spaced evenly in the middle should hold it fine. You could even use a 1x6 and double up on the anchors. There is also a shelf/rod bracket you can get at the home stores to support the middle of the rod. Here is a drawing of what I am talking about.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

When Hubby and I rebuilt our closets we did as the pic that JD showed. The U shaped cut out holds the closet rod and the top part of the wood holds the shelving above.

The difference in installation was we used construction adhesive to hold the wood as well as screwed into studs. If you are uncertain where the studs are you can typically just push against the wall ever 16 inches or so and you will feel where they are.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
garrett_reukauf

The idea the JD gave you is very good and I wouldn't worry about it falling outta the walll like your last one did. Yes there is quite a bit of weight there, BUT unlike your last setup, the one the pulled outta the wall, JD's will work w/ no problems. Before, you had all the weight in one particular spot on the wall, w/ the 1x4 you will be distributing the weight over a greater area. So even if you dont have solid wood to secure the 1x4 to, 3 or 4 toggle anchors should work.