Sewer line, roots?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

A toilet at the NW end of the house has been very slow to flush, even after repeated plunging.

This end of the house has tons of thin, wire-like roots that are as strong as steel.
I discovered these while digging for the skirting channels.

I can't get close enough to the sewer line to eyeball it.

I read of using Copper Sulfate down the toilet and also the Salt that is used to make ice cream.

I could call Roto Rooter, but they might root my wallet too.

Any ideas beside Rotter Tooter?

PS
The other bathroom is fine and all the sinks are good too.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Brenda (OH)

Hi Lorne,

there are root remover type products listed on the web, the following is an example.

http://www.masterplumber.net/rootx.htm

I had a plumbing service clean out roots on a rental house, (NOT A MH) and they sold me a product to keep roots from returning.

I wonder if it would be a slow process to be killing and more or less dissolving the roots, vs having a company open up the pipe and get them out. After all, roots are tiny thin woody fiber stuff. I wonder if you kill them, will they sit in the pipe like cotton balls.

With PVC drain lines, I would ask a lot of questions of how experienced the company was on working on MHs before letting them use the equipment that they use on metal drain lines to cut out tree roots from inside the pipe. the metal teeth on the equipment they used on my rental house looked pretty strong!

Maybe all you need is a MH repair person who is experienced at opening up and reassembling a drain line, not a plumbing company with the tree root remover? maybe lower cost, especially if you can get the fellow to quote a flat rate vs hourly fee.

Brenda (OH)
SpongeBob

Hi, If you have PVC sewer lines I bet there would be a "clean-out plug" close to the end where you are haveing the problem. Once you identify it, I would try using a "mechanical snake" to try and "root" out this problem.Image
Lorne

The Plumbers compound mat be Copper Sulfide and it may be cheaper to buy it under it's regular name. I'll try it.

The other thing is a snake. I'll get one of those too.

I am also checking with some handy men in the area. I read many complaints about Roto Rooter not giving estimates and jusy piling on the charges when your back is against the wall.

It is strange because we only use single ply paper and never try to flush ping pong balls either.

Thanks SpongeBob and Brenda
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Demolition

If you can locate the sewer lines and septic tank,
then go out and remove bushes and little trees around it. Also keep people from driving over the lines and septic tank.
Now is a good time of year to clear brush. It ain't as thick now and all the bugs and snakes are asleep.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Greg

I would bet that you do not have a root problem since the other bathroom and drains are fine. I would buy a new wax ring and remove the toilet. I sounds like there is something either in the toilet trap or line. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

Good Call Greg. Once again you have kept us from going on a tangent.
Most hardware stores have mechanical drain cleaner tools for under $20. Just wear some gloves and run the wire thingy down in there.
If there are kids in the house, you can get them their toys back.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Lorne

"If there are kids in the house" I'm moving.
I'm going to get a snake and stick it in.
Thanks. :mrgreen: