What is furnace service?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Furball

When you talk about having a furnace serviced, what is done? I have an electric furnace, Coleman Presidential.

I vacuumed it and change the filter every month. The filter has an arrow for the direction of air flow, and it seems to me the air goes from top to bottom.

There is also a thick, felt pad on the back of the door. When I moved it, it looked like it had never been cleaned, but I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't turned the door around. Does the felt pad need to be replaced? It appears to be attached with an adhesive.

1993 Fleetwood Broadmore.
Robert

Hi Furball,

Long time, no talk, LOL. Hope all is well out your way.

Service means to clean all and inspect all to check for problems or possible future problems that may be avoided if caught early.

If the filter is behind a louvered door, the arrow points toward furnace.

If filter slides in at top and lays flat above furnace, the arrow points down.

That felt pad is for insulation, noise reduction.

Has to be special ordered if still available and can be pricey.

Cleaning or an attempt to usually results in it falling apart.

Kind of up to homeowner what they do depending on looks or smell or how it may bother them.

Good to hear from ya.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Furball

Thanks, Robert.

At least, I no longer have that old floor furnace and, of course, I'm no longer in the stick-built on the icy hill. This furnace works like gangbusters. Not one single problem (knock wood). The felt didn't fall apart but was very dusty.

Sounds like I have the filter pointing the right direction.
Robert

You're very welcome.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?