Kitchen Sink... slow drain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dcorliss

My wife and I recently moved into a mobile home and are loving it... most everything is working fine, but I've noticed that the kitchen sink drains very slowly, and tends to get some back-up when the dishwasher is running.

My first guess was the catch, so I took that off and looked, but it was totally clean... then I unscrewed the air filter thingy just past the catch in the drain pipes, and tried running water... it drained very quickly with no problems. When I went to a store and bought a new air vent and installed it, the sink went back to draining slowly. :-(

Am I missing something? Something else I should check? Or is that just the way things are gonna be for us? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Robert

This was just discussed recently in another thread in this forum:

viewtopic.php?t=2408

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dcorliss

Ya, I looked over that post, but after unscrewing the air vent under my sink and having it drain faster I felt like it wasn't something plugging up my system, but maybe some kind of problem in how it's put together. I had used some liquid plumber with no effect, and the catch was completely clear...

Do you think it could be plugged up still if it drains at a normal rate when the under-sink vent is off???

Thanks again!
JD
Site Admin

I would say that you do not have a clog in the drain and probably have a venting problem. You may have picked up a faulty dishwasher vent, or maybe the abs vent going to your roof is clogged. So when the dishwasher vent is removed, it is working as the plumbing vent. The roof vent is very easy to snake out if you can get up on the roof.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
wayne

I had to remove the vent cap under my kitchen sink because it was making a gurgling sound every time the washing machine pumped out. I don't get any sewer smell. I added a length of pipe to it so it was as high as I could get it to make sure I didn't get any water out the end of it. I tried putting a couple different new vent caps but it kept making noise. There isn't a roof vent for the sink but there needs to be because its not getting enough air in the drain pipe to displace the water going out.
Wayne
Robert

Hi Wayne,

If the vent cap is removed and the pipe is open, sewer smell or not, it needs to be terminated outside the home.

The roof vents tie into same drain piping as kitchen sink, so check carefully.

You can also enlarge the piping to sometimes help with these issues.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?