Dreaded grey PB pipe

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LornaR

Hi all,

We have the dreaded grey PB pipe in our 1991 Triple E (they're now Triple M). Our hotwater pressure is down to almost zip and the plumber said to replace the grey pipe. I contacted Triple M to see where all we should be looking for this pipe. They have had a huge fire at their plant and all info is lost. Honestly, I can't believe that with all the controversy with this pipe that NO ONE there has a clue. Anyway. Is it likely that we will be fortunate enough to only have to replace that pipe that we can see, or have they used the wretched stuff everywhere? Anybody know?

Thanks,

Lorna
Greg

Hi & welcome. It is likely that the PB is throughout your home. The bulk of the problems are at the fittings. If you have copper crimp rings, the problems are less likely. If you are going to replace lines, go with PEX. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve S.

Like Greg said, most problems with polybutylene pipe is with the fittings, which have a tendency to crack and leak :cry: ...chlorine in the water may lead to degradation of fitttings. PB pipes are quite serviceable in straight runs...may be problems where the pipe has been bent/elbowed. Don't think that PB pipe is responsible for low hot water pressure though...this can be attributable to galvanized pipe, which corrodes and blocks water flow. Dirt or sediment can also plug up faucet screens and reduce water flow. Personally, I'm in no great hurry to replace all my supply lines with PEX...I've had one cracked PB fitting and replaced it with copper...in general, PB pipe is not as terrible as some might think. I think much of the problem/blame lies in the quality of the installation and how well the crimps were made. I've found a lot of shoddy work inside my mobilehome.
itcowboycop

I also have the dreaded grey PB throughout my house. Currently I'm looking at replacing a couple of shut-off valves that leak when in the off position. I'm new to this and want to make sure I've got the right tools... What I'm considering is cutting the PB and crimp, add a new shut-off, and then new connections to the faucets. Will the same crimp tool work for PEX and PB? Also, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Greg

Same tool, I believe you can use the same ring. Just make sure to double check for leaks. Greg
Steve S.

I have Qest plastic shut-offs at all my faucets...mine don't leak, but some don't stop the water flow when turned off :( . I may replace some of mine also...might be a good way to become acquainted with PEX pipe, fittings, and crimp rings. That way I'll be ready if a major PB failure occurs :wink:
Greg

Steve, I have found the the quest shutoff valves are one step from useless as you have found on your own. I have replace mine with either BRASS gate or ball valves.
Mark has the tools avalable here, I have a set of pocket crimpers that use a pair of vise grips to make the crimp. I would not reccomend it if you are going to use it every day, but for a home owner they work just fine. Greg