Presidential PS1

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

phlipwright

Hi,
My oil fired Presidential PS1 had a replacement transformer fitted just before I bought my home.
When the furnace is running I can hear that the ignition spark is running continuously. When I lift the transformer back slightly on its hinge I can see a lovely healthy spark jumping from the transformer contacts to the igniter. Is this correct? Or should the current to the transformer be cut when the furnace is running?

Thanks in advance

Phil
Robert

Hi Phil,

Ignition transformers for spark ignitors on oil furnaces can put out 10,000 volts and kill in a hurry.

This could be an ignition module problem.

However, due to dangers stated earlier, please call a Tech out if you suspect any problems.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
phlipwright

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for the reply. I had checked the plate on the transformer and seen that the output was dangerously huge - so treated with great respect!

I'm not sure that there is a problem. I was wondering if the ignition spark should be continuous. I would have thought that current to the transformer would be cut once the furnace was lit and running. Is that correct? If so, as you say, perhaps the ignition module is suspect.

Thanks

Phil
Robert

Hi Phil,

Yes, once ignition occurrs, it should not be continuing to spark.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
phlipwright

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that - I'd better get a new ignition module fitted.

Phil
Robert

Hi Phil,

You're very welcome.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert