Doing your own work and Home Owners Insurance

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

2canSAM

A brief history. We live in a 54x27 1995 Fleet-wood Double-wide. We have lived in the home since 1997 and a few years ago had a mouse get in and die under the Garden Tub in the Master Bath. I took out the tub, removed enough of the sub-floor to get the mouse out. This was about 3 years ago. I replaced the sub-floor with new plywood and we left the tub out, thinking of moving the Washer/Dryer back there and going to essentially a full bath and a 1/2 bath. Fast forward to this weekend and I was going to replace the cracked bathtub in the other bathroom. Once I got the tub removed I noticed there was water damage. Seeing as I would not have this done by this weekend I ended up installed a shower unit in the master bath. This required building 4" high platform for the shower base and framing another wall to fit the 48" in shower into a 76" inch opening. As of yet I have not messed with anything structural. Back to the other bathroom though, there is mold from the water damage. all the way back to the studs that are on the exterior wall. I plan to re-stud this wall and after placing the new studs cut out the old molded studs. I will have to replace the sub-floor in this bathroom too. There is not any rotting on the wood though just removing to get rid of the mold. Now seeing as I did not have to rerun any of the water lines, only extend them a little and will be replacing some outside wall studs will any of this void my home owners policy? If so can I have a plumber come in and "check or certify" my work. If my insurance policy would be void I would rather pay someone else to do the work.
Last edited by 2canSAM on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry

Hi

JMO

I do not think the DIY project you discribe will have any effect on your homeowners insurance.

Let's see what others say.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Mark
Site Admin

I don't think it will have an affect either, but it kind of depends upon the insurance company as well. If you did work that you needed a permit for, and did not obtain a permit, that may have some affect on your insurance.

In your case, permits are a good thing because if the inspector signs-off on your work, then you most likely don't need to worry about paying a professional to 'certify' it (unless the inspector says so, which is doubtful).

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hi,

Call your local building codes inspector. In my area a homeowner can do any type of work to there home...BUT, removing walls, plumbing repairs (not changing fixtures) and anything electrical do require a permit. unfortunately for us anything beyond a paint brush requires a permit and then when finished call an inspector.

As Mark said when thy sign off you are good to go with your insurance company. In my case to do the things I described above if something where to happen, major plumbing leak, electrical fire from something we did etc, the insurance company does not have to honor out claim.

Oh, and Welcome to the site! Glad to see you doing your homework before proceeding, many folks try to save a dollar and latter on create alot of problems for themselves.

Yes, others will say go ahead, but the choice is yours.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Just my opinion, but working around mold use at the very least a dust mask, Mold work can be nasty. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."