Black "Soot" on Furnace Filter

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

loocie

RE 7956A856 Gas Furnace

Long ago, I accepted the fact that no one could correct the issue with our pilot light going out (yes, everything's been replaced - several times - but that's not my question, this time . . .). So every few days or so I pull off the front covers and go through the motions to relight the pilot (I bet I could do it in my sleep). I mention this to explain that I see when the filter is dirty and I've been cleaning it religiously since we got it (it's a 5+ yr-old "Allergy-Free Flexible Air Filter").

So imagine my surprise :shock: the other day when I see a completely black filter. It wasn't even that dirty last week, let alone black sooty dirt. This has never happened before. What could be causing this?

Is it possible this situation could be involved? - - - A couple of weeks ago, we found a section of the press-board siding in the den has been rotting - water made it onto the den floor, etc. We've pulled the wet carpet and pad, & wet drywall and insulation out . I sprayed the H*** out of the area with bleach solution and put the fan on it to dry it out. Waiting for our turn on the job schedule to get the repairs done . . . but we've still got that moldy smell until it's fixed.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
Robert

Hi,

Whenever black soot is noticed, my one and only reply is to get a HVAC Tech to do a thorough test on heat exchanger.

That alone should tell the problem even if it's not the heat exchanger.

Doubt the leak and soot are related.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?