Justifiable paranoia?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dirty White Boy

Sleepless night last night...need some help.

I just put in my new washer and dryer and am concerned about weight issues.

I'll start by giving a basic layout. It's a single wide with the master bedroom at the rear, a long hallway that runs along the outside wall up to the living room and kitchen. Off the hallway from the master (in order) is the bathroom, then 2 bedrooms...typical layout.

I removed the washer and dryer that was here when I bought the place and purchased a stackable unit. Total weight approx. 350-360 lbs. They are placed in the bathroom on the other side of the hallway wall, about 3 feet in from the outside of the 12 foot wide trailer.

Another weight issue (I love big antique furniture, lol) is in my master bedroom I have a 6 foot tall wardrobe that has been converted to hold a TV. The wardrobe weights about 120 lbs, the TV is a 36 inch tube style that pushes 170 lbs.

The wardrobe and the stackable washer and dryer are in separate rooms, but right on the other side of the same wall from eachother.

So estimating 650lbs in a centered area is how much of a bad thing?lol

The floors are 1 inch particle board. The bathroom has had 1/4 inch luan laid before the new lino, then a 1/2 piece of plywood under the stackable unit...
Greg

Personally, I would just roll over and go back to sleep. If you are concerened about the extra weight you can add some extra blocking under it to support the weight. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

I also personally don't think you have anything to worry about either.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Another in agreement,

It probably all weighs about what my side by side fridge does loaded with food. Other folks have queen size or larger water beds.

Like Greg said, roll over and get some sleep. :D

BUT, it is good to see folks that think about weight issues with our homes.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dirty White Boy

Well, this is my first time owning and living in a mobile home so...it's a learning experience.lol

Thanks.
Yanita

LOL, and the longer you live there more things you will learn.

As I said I commend you for at least inquiring about the weight issues.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
chablis

We have had a kingsized waterbed and a baby grand piano in our doublewide since we moved in in 1995 without any sagging or other weight issues (other than the usual "dents" in the carpet.) I really don't think you have anything to worry about.