underfloor insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kwhel

Cats have pulled down most of the fiberglass insulation under my trailer. I hate to replace it with more fiberglass to have the same thing happen. Are there other insulations I can use, such as styofoam board or spray insulation?
Greg

Hi & welcome. The problem with other types of insulation is this, The belly os your home is designed to "hang" using belly material to support it. The reason for this is to allow the pipes that run under your home's floor to be insulated as well if you attach a rigid foam insulation directly it the floor joists you will not have insulation for the heat duct & water supply lines.
The real problem lies in your skirting. If the skirting is sealed up, cat's can't get in and the insulation stays intact.
Mark (the site owner) has written a book that deals with about every type of problem you are apt to run into as a home owner, it is avalable in the Books & parts section of the site, well worth reading. Again welcome. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mp183

I was thinking about doing this also.
I'm moving all my plumbing inside so freezing will not be an issue.
If I put in the rigid insulation will moisture penetration be an issue.
I have a 1970 trailer with the buffalo board underbelly.
Soil is really sandy under the trailer so not much moisture there.
kwhel

Okay I understand. But we can't put skirting on where we live because there is no foundation and we live in the lowest part of the park so water settles under the trailer. What about spray on foam insulation? Would that work?
Greg

It sounds like there are two problems going on here, one being moisture the other being cold.
Moisture is usually controlled by ventilation in the skirting. the best way to prevent excessive moisture from entering is to keep the air under the home moving.
Controlling the cold is a two step approach. First is the underbelly insulation & wrap (or Buffalo board in older homes) It's designed to insulate the under floor utilities, plumbing, sewer, heat ducts. it should allow the warm air from the heat ducts to get to the pipes to prevent freeze ups.
The second step is the skirting. It creates a "buffer zone" between the cold outside air & the warm underbelly. Skirting also helps protect the water service line from the wind & cold.
If you have standing water under your home, you need to try to work with the park to get it deverted from under it. At the least you can use mesh to keep the critters out of the underbelly. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."