Coleman Evcon D.E.S 80 Furnace Clicking and running often

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

scott4885

Hi, I have a Coleman Evcon D.E.S. 80 Furnance model 2865E666. I have read the forums for similar units and here is what I know:

The booster motor starts first and works fine - everytime you call for heat.

The HSI starts and glows always.

The gas goes to the furnance and ignites.

The blower seems to work fine - it will come on and stay on and isn't squeaky.

But sometimes (and more and more frequently - like always now), during the gas ignition, the furnace will click. I can't identify where the clicking is coming from but it will sometimes click many times and very loudly. It sounds as if it is coming from the gas valve. When it clicks, the flame goes out. The blower will continue to run and eventually the HSI will glow again and the flame will start. Then, the click and the same thing happens - flame goes out and the furnance keeps blowing with no flame. The blower always runs - sometimes it stays unlit for several minutes and will randomly come back on. The heat in the house is not up to where the thermostat is set.

I've removed the limit switch by the burner, used steelwool, and put it back - no luck. I have no warning/service lights on the unit. Everything inside of the electrical box area looks to be very new.

I have not checked or done anything with the thermostat. Our power company replaced it for us (a new, special energy saving one supposedly). Since they installed it (a year ago), we have noticed that everything (AC and Heat) run shorter cycles but more frequently.

I went out and purchased a voltage meter today. I'm open to testing things with it if you can specifically state what to do.

Help.
Thanks for your help,
Scott
Robert

Hi Scott,

I can give some basic thoughts possibly here in the forum, but for troubleshooting steps, I charge a $20 fee for a max of 2 hours of private emails.

Do you have a wiring diagram and if so, can you send a pic or copy to me via my email ........robert@mobilehomerepair.com ?

When it does this , immediately test terminals at gas valve, one lead on each and see if you lose the low voltage 24-28VAC signal.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?