Help leaky windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

libra

hi new here with a few questions we own 1973 mobilehome,the windows 3 of them have began to leak ruining the wall underneith making the paneling bubble and mushy! whats the best way to fix will we need to replace the whole wall or just underneith the window if so with what drywall,plywood?Thank you so much if you have anymore questions just ask,need this taking care of ASAP!!Lori
Harry

Hi libra

Lots of older MHs have damage around the windows over time.

Often you will find hidden damage as you remove the wall panels which will require some carpentry tools and skills. For example you may need to replace the window frame, wall studs and maybe even some flooring.

To repair the walls I try to come as close as possible to the original wall panels as far as thickness.

Some folks go ahead and upgrade the windows also.

As far as temporary patch jobs to cover up the damage I've seen lots of them but they still leak so I don't recommend patch jobs.

Just some thoughts before I have to repair and relocate our water softener.

Hopefully others will have some ideas also.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

You need to find where the water is coming from before you attempt any repairs on the walls. I personally would remove the wall paneling and see what is there for damage, get the wet insulation out and then let everything else dry out.

What type of windows does your home have?

It is possible the water is entering from outside the home.

What type of roof does your home have, gutters and siding as well?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Lori, Hi & welcome to the family. It sounds to me like you need to do a little invistigating as to both the source of the leak and the damage extent. It would also be a real good time to consider a window upgrade to a good quality double hung window.
You should also think about Mark's book (Mark is the owner of this site), It covers about every aspect of mobile home maintance & repair. Check the "Books & parts"section of the site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
libra

we have the old crank windows not possitive but i think thats were the water is getting in
Yanita

Hi,

Follow the advice in the above post...opening up the damaged area etc...

Go outside an check all the sealants around your windows. It only take a very small crack for water to penetrate into that and leak into the walls. If any of the sealant appears dried and peeling remove it all and apply new.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
tinyone

I have leaky windows also, my home is about a '95..
oldfart

Folks there just ain't no easy fix. Since the original post was concerning the old crank-out windows I'll start right there. In time the caulking around the alum. frame dries out and since we have no eaves on these homes..rain runs down the outside walls and into the interior. Walls and window frames rot out... and next the floors and floor joists. Even a small leak can travel into the middle of the floor in no time at all. If the paneling and walls are "mushy" I'll bet the studs have long since failed as well. The only way to find out (as mentioned) is to rip out the walls on all sides of the window and see just how bad it is. Above, below and on both sides at least to the first wall studs on either side of the window. Finding the studs is easy..just press on the wall and you'll find them right smart quick. Now snatch up a razor-knife and run it down the center of the stud and pull the wall material away and lets see how bad the damage is. Cut it from floor to ceiling and pull out all the wet insulation and get a good look at the damage and where it's coming from. If it's not obvious have d.h. run outside and point the garden hose at the outside wall until you hollar...HOLY %&$*!...STOP! If you caught it in time you might get by with taking all the screws loose from the alum. window frame..pulling it free and re-caulking it and re-installing all the screws around the window frame. That probably won't happen. Usually by the time we notice the damage..or decide to do something about it..we've got a lot more repair work to do. The only way to find out is to open up the damaged area. Audie..the Oldfart..