A/C help

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

buffee

I hope I am posting this in the correct place. We have a
GOODMAN CKJ-30-1 A/C. It took me frickin forever to even get the model number because the people who put the unit in outside 10 years ago placed it so it is IMPOSSIBLE to see the model info. I had to read this upside down! :cry:
Anyway the ONLY paperwork I have on this unit is Technical stuff & how to install. It does mention a filter, that it should be periodically cleaned or replaced.
Where is the filter???????is there truly one????????????how do you clean it????????????can it be replaced???????????
The Central A/C works really well--but in the last 4 years ther has been occasional problems, nothing super bad. I treid to go to GOODMAN on line but those people aren't interested in an A/C unless its really new or you want to buy one. Any help will be REALLY appreciated! :lol: [/b]
Robert

Filter would be inside at the furnace top or louvered front door or laying on the A-Coil.

What is furnace model number ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
buffee

As in my original post it is a GOODMAN CKJ30 and according to Goodman who finally emailed me they DO NOT HAVE A FILTER! Seems odd...but I guess since they made it they should know. thanks.
Robert

Do you have a furnace inside your home for heating ?

If so, is there an a/c A-Coil above or below it ?

If so, that is where the filter is.

If not and you have a self-contained unit where ALL components are outside inside one unit, then the filter would be there if applicable.

They said it doesn't have a filter, BUT their install guide mentions it.

Also, ALL evaporator coils need a filter whether inside home or outside in a self-contained unit.

Running the unit without one or allowing an unknown one to become filthy and clogged up will cost big $$$$$ in repairs later on.

BTW, I have been doing HVAC service, repair and install for 28+ years and work on all types and brands, including Goodman.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
buffee

Hi Robeet,
The heater is completly separate unit. It is in the back outside of the Mobilehome. I change the filter in that 4 times a year. The goodman unit is a big round thing on the Side of the mobilehome. It has NO doors, No windows, No latches.
I think the guide that came with it, is general installations for several units. Thats why I emailed Goodman thinking it might have an filter. We have used the central A/C for 10 years and it works great. No issues.....doesn't cost alot of $$$ either in bills about 45$ monthly when used all the time. we normally run the A/c May thru Sept. from 1pm-6pm. I just assumed there was a filter but the Goodman rep said that there isn't, so I will assume they know what they are talking about. I did lok at our unit and there is positively NO way of opening it....it is sealed.
Robert

The filter being referred to is for protection of the evaporator coil or a-coil.

Where it is located either in the outside a/c unit IF it is a self contained or inside furnace IF it is a split system is where the filter would be.

Air is pulled across the a-coil and with it comes dust and debris.

The filter you change may be it. Look at outside a/c unit and see if it has two refrigerant lines, one larger one insulated and a smaller one running from it to underneath home.

If so, follow those lines, they go to the evaporator coil and that is where it would be.

The outside a/c unit can be opened, they all can in order to service them and replace defective components. They look sealed, but they're not.

However, I believe your evap. coil is elsewhere, so that is a non issue.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
www.mobilehomerepair.com