Help w/ contractor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

help4MH

HI,
I had a h2o leak, got Foremost out, they gave me a check, gave me a contractor's name. I hired him to relay the linoleum, and "Luann" sp? underneath. He took from 8am to 6pm to lay it, and is coming back today. He seemed nice , and I helped him, w/ little things, but he kept coming and going, "to the store" for a bit, or something else.

So I got up last night, cause I heard something, and I walked on the brand new linoleum floor, and it "waves". I can feel the Luann, or whatever that wood is, moving up and down under my feet.

He's going to be here in 1/2 hr. Now what do I do? Do I make him tear it out? It took him forever to put it in! Do I NOT pay? Do I call Foremost? HELP!!!!! PLEASE. Newbie at this......
Thanks
Barbara :roll:
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel
help4MH

Hi you guys,
Maybe I made this sound too simplistic. The hot water heater flooded my MH. It's taken me wks to get the contractor, insurance, etc, out here. I'm taking care of my mom who is dying. I had only 2wks off, and I have no MORE time. So DO I DEMAND my money back? I don't have time to have it redone. So will the warping cause any problems? I don't want the contractor to say "I won't redo it". Or demand the money I owe. What do I do. He will be here real soon. PLEASE someone tell me what I could do???? I REALLY need some advice. I understand it's advice. Ok? Thank you

Oh, does the Insurance person needs to know. ?
Barbara
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel
mist1953

I don't know if I can be of any help but if I was in that position, I would expect the handyman do do his job properly that is what he is getting paid for. If you do not feel that he is doing the job right you have that option to fire him and get someone else or he needs to do it right. If he does not comply you may wind up with a bigger and costlier mess. I know I've been in that situation.
Greg

Well how did you make out? I would question if the damage extended into the sub floor, If so the floor should come up & be replaced right down to the floor joists. The Insurance co. should have picked up on this. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
help4MH

Hi,
thanks you guys. I told the contractor what I'd found, the minute he got here. He took one look at it and said "Oh wow, I have to do this all over again." That made me happy and sad, a day wasted, and yet the contractor was good enough to realize his mistake.

I went out of my way to get a licensed , bonded, contractor w/ insurance, and luckily, thanks to this forum, I learned how to look them up on the State contractors board. I had looked him up before hiring, but that doesn't mean anyone is still going to own up to a mistake.

He didn't ask for any money, just made another date, in the future, and said he'd come back, pull it all out, and redo it at his expense. I'd be a bit worried, but he left allot of his tools and stuff here, knowing he'd be back, plus he said he'd never had to make a claim on his insurance, and he has a name to protect. So I feel everything went well. Just is going to take another LONG day, but this time he's going to NOT use this "Mahognony luan" underneath, as the Foremost adjuster recommended and use the plywood that he usually does.
I love this site. Thanks you guys.
Barbara
P.Gabriel
JD
Site Admin

Hi Barbara,

When nailing down underlayment, I use a 7/16ths crown construction stapler. Fasteners go 4" on center (some say 6") around the perimeter of the underlayment section and 8" o.c. (some say 12") in "the field", being the joists in the middle of the underlayment section. Nailed down properly, it will not buckle or come up.

Construction staples are best, or you can use 6d ribbed nails or zinc screws, but you have to drive the screws to where they are just barely countersunk. All fasteners and edges of each underlayment section needs to be floated with a flooring compound or leveler. I like Ardex FeatherFinish.

He sounds like an honest contractor. You should not pay him until he is done and the work is done properly. If this was a big job, he may set up progress payments, but not on a small job like this. In California, he can ask for a 10% deposit to start the job or $1000, whichever is less.

Very sorry to hear about your Mother. Take care.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

Depending on the brand of linoleum that you are putting down some manufacturers require/recommend that birch luan be laid over the subfloor which is plywood.

This should be laid with staggered joints over the plywood.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!