Skirting cutting jig

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I am preparing to cut and install new skirting all around and I just built one of these:
http://wayneofthewoods.com/circular-saw ... t-jig.html

You can use it for cutting other things too.

Thought it might help someone.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Mark
Site Admin

I built something very similiar to that 10+ years ago for cutting vinyl skirting. Still use it today. Obviously works well.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Lorne

The alignment of the guide fence is critical. Mine was a hair off and had to make an adjustment.

I also add 2- 2 x 2's underneath the surface to add regidity, because when you make the saw cut through the top 2 x 2" it weakens the 3/4" plywood, unless your jig is sitting on a flat surface.
Mine is on 2 saw horses for right now.

Now I need to buy my skirting so I can start Sweating to the Oldies.
Humid here today.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Mark
Site Admin

Every time I'd buy a different circular saw, I'd have to either adjust the saw guide or adjust my built-in ruler. I also added an extra board under the cutting area for support.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

Really good post. Thanks for the cool tool plans.

In the really old days of aluminum skirting, we made a skirting device that used a school style paper cutter on the end of a 72"x18" piece of plywood. I used flat aluminum stock and a piano hinge to make the bending (brake) part of it. Had measurement showing on the plywood to be able to pull the aluminum up to the length I needed. All the contractors had similar home make skirting makers.

The free plans for the Circular Saw Cutting Guide on the bottom of that web page is also VERY cool. I have been using a rip cut guide like that one for a long time now. It is great to be able to put the guide directly on the line rather than measuring back from the saw foot to the blade.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lorne

Finish.Image

The separate board on top is a "Hold Down" to be sure what I'm cutting doesn't hop or vibrate. This can be used for other Cross-Cutting jobs too.

Now I need to build the long Rip jig.

Enjoy your Holiday.