New air conditioner

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

butch7555

I need to replace my central air on a 14 x 70 mobile home. My old unit was a 3 ton Intertherm (with the evaporator coil sitting under the Intertherm furnace).

I have found a Payne condenser unit 3 1/2 ton (model # pa10ja042-h serial# 315x25839) with a 4 ton Bryant evaporator coil (model# ck5bxa048021aaa serial# 3205x07771). Both Payne and Bryant brands are made by Carrier and their model numbers are usually very similar.

Will a 4 ton evap coil work with a 3 1/2 ton condenser unit?
Robert

Hi,

You would have to have an ACCA Manual J Load Calculation performed to know exact size needed.

With that said, depending on insulating qualities, doors and windows types, shade and area temps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 2 1/2 tons would be about right.

3 tons max for that size home under standard build with no upgrades.

Also, best to match condenser and a-coil sizes.

Also need to be sure a-coil will fit, dimension wise, if not a MH specific unit.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
butch7555

Thanks for the reply, Robert

I had a 3 ton unit and it seemed to run a lot during the summer. I have a lot of southern exposure with little to no shade.

My question is -- Can a 4 ton evap coil be used with a 3 1/2 ton condenser?
Robert

Hi,

Only under certain conditions and only then if set up by a Tech.

For straight a/c, it is best to match the condenser and a-coil.

During hot summer days/nights, they will run alot and should.

They have to run to rid home of humidity which is what causes the heat.

A matching 3 ton condenser and 3 ton a-coil, kept clean with clean filter and properly charged should work fine.

You can add shade around unit if you make sure that the sides, front and overhead are not blocked of airflow.

This helps as well.

Better grade windows, doors and insulation also helps.

When it comes to hvac, bigger is not better in most cases.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?