Fine tuning for optimum cooling

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mik

OK,

Now that the blower assembly is working great, I need to do some fine tuning....
1. aprrox 8 degree rise in temp. from the side where AC unit is to other half of home. The duct splitting system is insulated under the home, do I need a new duct? or can I add anything to existing?

2. I have cathedral ceilings in 3/4 of house. The attic space does not have any venting, which I'm sure doesn't help with cooling. Can I install vents at outside ends with some kind of powered fan to get rid of roasting air?

3.AC compressor (Carrier) outside is over 15 years old. I think about 12 seer. A coils replaced inside to match outside about 7 years ago. Could I have outside unit replaced to try and save on utilities and still work with my coleman 7900 series 4 ton? Is refrigerant still the same?

Thanks, Mik
tnt17

No blower/air blend system to suck out the hot air through the return/furnace area?
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Robert

Hi,

1. Remove register grilles, lay bright light down in duct at one end, go to next register and hold mirror looking back toward light.

This allows inspection of inner duct trunklines.

Go underneath and be sure any crossover ducts are not loose, torn, kinked or sagging.

Best is all metal insulated. Next best is 2 90* ells and flex stretched tight between them.

Any repair to trunklines means belly repair later.

Ducts need to remain the same if DIY on this, otherwise call a Tech.

2. You can install a Deluxe Blend Air II system, end gable vents/fans, roof turbines, etc.. . It depends on roof type, finances and situation.

3. Old unit is R22 which will become obsolete and in short supply In 2010.

New unit now would require a new a-coil for seer ratings to match for efficiency.

Smallest seer now is 13.

You can also update doors, windows, floor and wall insulation, insulated curtains, close curtains facing sun, do chores creating heat at coolest times,ect..

Take it one by one and slowly cover all to increase comfort in home.

tnt17, the blend air and ventilaire systems have rooftop roofjacks with motor/wheel that pulls fresh air into attic cavity through other roof vents and expels it through roofjack.

The furnace and return portion is for adding fresh air to home only.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
tnt17

Robert wrote:Hi,

tnt17, the blend air and ventilaire systems have rooftop roofjacks with motor/wheel that pulls fresh air into attic cavity through other roof vents and expels it through roofjack.

The furnace and return portion is for adding fresh air to home only.

Robert

Yes, i just worded it incorrectly.
But sure makes a different using the delux blend air II system.
Robert

Yep, it is a must to use some type system/method to remove the

heat from attic cavity.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?