Replacing a Split System

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

She

I am brand new to this site and I am impressed with the vast amount of knowledge you are providing. I am looking forward to your expertise on this subject:

I have a Coleman/Evcon Split System Model #EB15B that was in my house when I bought it new in 1996. It is 105 degrees outside and it is not keeping the house as cold as it has in the past. I usually have to close vents in one end of the house in order to push enough air to the other end to cool it nad do the same in the winter to heat it. Right now, we are having to supplement with fans to keep from sweating. The coils could stand a good cleaning again, especially toward the bottom of the A-frame. This was done last year, but there is a lot of stuff on it again. The front of the A-Coil is rusting in spots and the small lines that run along the front are touching it and are really corroded and seem to be almost taken in by the A-Coil unit. I am afraid that it will be developing a leak there soon. I think it may be time to do some replacement shopping!

My most pressing question is: Can I replace my Split System with a package unit? (It would also free up the space inside for a much needed linen closet.)

If I can do this, what are your recommendations for what will have to happen as far as modifications to the existing system?

Thanks for your input!
Robert

Hi,

Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words.

Yes, you can install a package unit.

If you are wishing to gain a linen closet, then you will need a complete package system.

Either one with electric heat, a gas pack if you have gas or a packaged heat pump.

You have to be sure it is for use in a mobilehome for correct blower motor.

Then install a return air vent/grille for the unit size.

It connects to package unit outside via flex or metal duct.

Then connect the supply duct to unit and run to main home duct trunkline.

Remove old furnace and seal up hole in floor where it connected to main duct.

I would try to get 2-3 HVAC Contractors who do work on MH's to give consult and estimates.

Be sure they do an ACCA Manual J Load Calc to get correct size needed

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?