Blower Vibration Coleman Model 7970C856

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

savagek

Hello,

Will cleaning the blower motor assembly help with what appears to be excessive vibration.
It also has a slight helicopter sound that comes and goes but is consistantly doing this. It does not sound like anything hitting or scrapping but more like an unusual sound that is of concern as it is clearly louder than usual.

Please let me know any thoughts on this as I would like to take care of this before a breakdown.

Thanks,

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

The wheel may have lost its balancer, if so, wheel would have to be replaced.

It could also be loose or dirty.

Click on HVAC link in blue toolbar at top, then click Articles.

Read "cleaning furnace blower" for tips.

Blower rotation should be on housing sticker, is on motor data sticker also.

Is airflow good out of closest register ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
savagek

Hi Robert,

Is the balancer located in a certain area? I will do the cleaning process as it is pretty dirty in there.

I seen the rotation stamp and this is working correct.

The airflow appears good out of registers but I did notice it slows down quite a bit once the filter and cover are put on. Is this normal or a sign of other problems?

Thanks,

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

The balancers are on the wheel fins, usually two.

Replacing door and filter will change airflow somewhat, but airflow should remain adequate.

At the previous link is a article on cleaning your a/c.

With the two, you'll get tips for cleaning the A-Coil.

If all is clean and airflow is low, inspect the duct for obstructions or disconnected sections.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
savagek

Hi Robert,

Just wanted to say Thank you! for all your help and information as it is much appreciated and I am humbly grateful.

I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

You're very welcome, happy to help. If you remove the register grilles IF you have floor registers, you can lay a light in duct facing next register.

Then hold mirror in next register and look back toward light.

Do this to all to inspect trunkline.

If you're in a double or triple wide, alos go underneath and look for crossover duct(s), flex duct running from one side to other side of home.

Make sure there are no rips, sags, kinks, collapsed spiral wire inside flex.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
savagek

Hi Robert,

I completed the cleaning which I believe may have been the problem as there was so much dirt/dust it was unbelievable. All balance weights are in place.

The only problem is I have no blower operation at all now, not even on continous. I only unplugged one connector.

I do not understand what happened, it worked before I took it apart.

Do you have ony ideas what may have happened.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

Check breakers, then transformer.

Flip breakers off/on all the way.

Transformer = 120VAC on PRIMARY/LINE side and 24VAC on

SECONDARY/LOAD side.

IF all ok, check the molex plug connection, may not have good connection or have a bad connection with one or more pins inside plug.

Thanks,
Robert
savagek

Hi Robert,

Power check was OK, found a wire popped up on the molex plug connector you mentioned (the one I disconnected). It did snapped back once I pushed it in.

Everything works now. Also, the blower runs smooth and quite now, awesome! It is remarkable how unbalanced the wheel becomes and the problems it can caused from becoming dirty.

Thanks for your help and information as you and your site are such an invaluable resource.

Thanks again,

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

You're very welcome, that is great news. I'll pass this along to Mark who owns the site.

Yep, the dirt/dust dries hard and increases the thickness and the curviture of the fins.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert