Replace Intertherm with Goodman?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jackofalltrades

I have an Intertherm 2.5 ton heat pump that is 13 years old. I replaced the evaporator 3 years ago due to a leak, and now the system is low of gas again. Had a tech come out Thursday and check and fill system, it was not as low as I had seen it before when the evaporator leaked, but it still didn't get as cold at the evaporator as it should, even with the freon temp/press. looking good. It cooled the house one day, froze up the next, defrosted and now it has virtually no gas in it, won't cool any. I don't want to spend any more money on this unit, and am looking at replacing it with a Goodman as that is what the guy who services my unit sells. has anyone done this? Is it hard to put a standard air handler in place of the modular home Style unit? I don't mind doing some carpenter work to get room needed for a little larger unit, but don't want to replace duct work under floor, just want to set a new handler on top and go. I'm open to all you people have to say, if you want more specifics, just ask. Thanks
Robert

Hi,

The main thing is that the blower motor MUST be one designated for MH units/ducts.

Now, if you want to just go with the outside condensing unit and inside A-Coil, if it fits your furnace/air handler, all is good.

However, if you wish to replace ALL, the blower has to be for MH ducts.

That's where you can run into problems.

Have you considered a Goodman Packaged Heat Pump ? I "believe" they have them for MH's.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jackofalltrades

What is different about mobile home ducts? I read somewhere about different static pressure, Would an air handler with variable blower speed be compatible by matching speed/CFM to mobile home duct? Thanks
Robert

Hi,

The problem is trying to match one to the MH duct. I won't say you can't and also won't say you can.

Best decision is getting a motor "designated" for MH use and either a unit with that or compatible for it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?