Wiring messed up?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Robert

Hi,

If you wish to try to repair your heat pump instead of replacing it, it will need the experience of an HVAC Tech to correctly diagnose problem.

Heat Pumps are very complex and cannot be taught or understood over the net through a few posts.

The reversing valve solenoid coil is what reverses the heat pump operation and it is inside the unit at the reversing valve.

The heat and cool are not both energized at same time, they are seperate as the heat pump reverses flow depending on which mode it is in.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
karmana

Great news, Robert! With your advice, as well as the first HVAC tech's, what I believed was the problem is indeed. The other tech just left, and pulled the relay out for me, showing me how to do so. The reversing valve is getting 240v from one side, but not the 24v from the other side- which comes from the relay I suspected was burned up. So now I must find a replacement relay for Coleman number 3230-386 (could be 356- hard to read.)

It has 8 male slide connectors on the bottom, and is just a push in type to the base mounted on the circuit control board.

Regarding your other suggestion- he said he could rig it so that cooling would work, but doing so would disable the defrost mechanism, creating even more headaches come winter.
Robert

Hi,

That's great, glad you at least know what is the problem.

That is a defrost relay, but circuits can run through it to reversing valve.

Shouldn't be too difficult to have it wired for cooling operation, just be sure reversing valve is in cooling mode set.

In cooling, it works as a normal a/c condenser.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?