Building a Screen Porch

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Hi guys. So I have seen on other homes in my area that they have screened porches and it looks simple enough to build and do myself, but was hoping someone out there has done it and can give me some tips on how to do this. Here are some pics of our porch from the front, side, back, ect. Thanks!!!Image
ImageImage
kamikaze
Brenda OH reregister

Hi!

ok, I freely admit this would be the low tech approach lol

I have not done this upgrade, but if I had your porch, I would be thinking, "gee half the framing for the screening is already here!"

It should be possible to staple nylon screening onto the back of the existing lattice wall unless they are metal? If metal, then liquid adhesvie might be better. You could place a prepainted trim over the area that is the edge of the screen and the staples, for a more finished look and to make it less likely to be able to pull off the screening by accident.

Would framing each top opening in 1 x2s wood , then attaching the screening to those frames with staples work? prepainting the wood before installing it would be the easier way to go. again, could trim over the screen edges.

the door area would be the tricky spot. maybe you can add a post to the one side, and a matching structure above the gate, and screen that.

advantage of the approach I am suggesting is, it can be removed easily if needed.

Brenda (OH)
kamiller73

Thanks for the tips. As soon as I get it done I'll post pics, and if they suck I'll tear it down. lol Thanks!!!!
kamikaze