Won't Stay On

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

reezer

When a gas furnace won't stay on I have been told that it is the thermocouple, is that correct? It is getting gas and everything else seems to be in order. I am a handy woman and I am sure I could fix this sucker if I knew which part I needed. Below is my info;
Thanks!
Angie

Coleman Gas Furnace
Model # - 7966856
SN# - 078570802
Robert

Hi Angie,

Is it the furnace burner that won't stay ignited or the furnace pilot light ?

Detail what steps you do and what takes place until it will not operate as designed.

The thermocouple is only dealing with pilot light.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
reezer

Only the pilot light. I went over what is wrong with someone on the phone who knows about these things. They said it was the thermocouple. On this web site I can order parts, but I could not find just the thermocouple. Is it the burner assmbly or what that I need?
Robert

Hi Angie,

If when you hold or depress the knob/lever turned to pilot and the pilot lights and burns as long as you hold down the knob/lever.

Then, when you release it, the pilot goes out immediately, it is usually the thermocouple.

I'm glad someone told you what it was, but since they didn't sell it to you and you have come here, I like to try to be sure my customers received correct advice.

I have 29+ years of service/repair/install experience in HVAC.

If you click on the HVAC link in top toolbar, then when it comes up, click on furnace parts.

Then go to Coleman Gas Furnace page and scroll down, you will see the thermocouple, we only sell that one.

It can be ordered through PayPal by adding to cart.

When installing, be sure thermocouple is positioned so that pilot flame crosses top 1/2" of thermocouple .

Also, do not overtighten it at gas valve, just get it good and snug.

If you have any problems or need further help, reply back here and I'll be happy to help as much as possible.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
reezer

Thank you and I ordered it. I may contact you when I start to install it. I have know odea how but I will learn!
Angie
reezer

BTW, is this the correct part; #2631-3481 for a
Coleman Gas Furnace
Model # - 7966856
SN# - 078570802
???
I hope because that's the one I ordered!
Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Yes, that is the correct thermocouple.

When removing old, look closely how it is installed, a video or lots of pics is good for this if possible.

Holler when it comes if you need any help.

Thanks for ordering.

Robert
reezer

Hey Robert,
Well it's "T"-Day (well tomorrow)
Where could I find an online guide, diagram or whatnot to check out before I begin on this thermocoupler. I am a bit frightened. I am sure I will be fine but it would be nice to have a starting point, particularly visual of some sort.
Thanks for all your help!
Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

Don't know of any online visuals or such for this, though I'm sure they're out there. Not sure if they are correct though.

Gotta be careful with getting info from internet, especially youtube videos.

Did ya take any video or pics before removing ?

Did you look at it very closely to get a visual of how it goes ?

Don't touch end of t-couple with bare hands/fingers.

Mount it in holder so when the pilot flame is lit, the flame crosses top 1/2" of t-couple tip.

Then in a soft and gentle coil, not too small, coil it up to give just enough length to reach side of gas valve and keep it out of way of burner flame.

Then insert in gas valve hole and tighten it snug, but not overtight.

Hope this helps, not too hard , but can be intimidating for the first time.

Robert
reezer

Thank you so much!
Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Hope this means it's a completed task and all went well.

Robert