outside window molding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

voldo37

So as I am in the fixing mode I am looking at the outside windows - the plastic molding that goes around the windows inside of the metal frame is falling apart - can that be replaced or do I just have to replace the whole window?? On the Mobile Home Parts Store they have some pieces called "Square Finish Window Glazing Channel Kit" - any chance this is what I need?? If so, how do I go about replacing them??

thanks
Kurt
Greg

Hi & welcome kurt, If you can post a picture of what you are working on it will help. Thanks, Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
voldo37

I hope I am doing this right - as you can see the plastic trim around the windows is falling apart

Image[/img]

Greg

What you have is the basic "trailer" window. Plan on doing a replacement, I don't think I have ever heard on anyone repairing them. You could try just caulking the gap as a temporary fix.
Depending on your location & weather you may want to think about replacing the windows with a good double hung window. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
voldo37

OK - thanks! I will do some checking on what it would cost to replace.
texasprairierose

Before we replaced our windows with double hung ones, we had the molding that you are describing. We replaced it and we found that the easiest way to do it was to grip it with a pair of needle nose pliers and heat it slightly with a heat gun to soften it and pull it out of the channel while it was still flexible. Then my husband just cut the new pieces and popped them into place. I love my new windows and REALLY don't miss that molding :D