check your addition's roofing screws w/ rubber washers

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

troyster

Had a leak that destroyed frame, insulation and sheathing above window in addition. Traced leak to roof and the entire addition roof was rotted. Traced leak to roofing screws. Funny enough all the flashing seams were sealed tightly and in excellent shape as I had sealed with liquid rubber 3 years ago. after replacing 2/3 of the roof & window frame with new 2x4's, new 7/16 OSB, new insulation & double tar paper, I used new roofing screws and sealed them with polyurethane caulk. have to finish rest of roof tomorrow as last sunny day of weather forecast. will keep an eye on these screws on a yearly basis as I don't wanna work this hard again. walk on your addition roof checking for soft spots and check screws for looseness every spring time as part of your regular maintenance to avoid big headache. Troyster
Yanita

Hey troyster!

Great hearing from you, although sorry to hear about all the damage and replacement work.

Amazing what kind of damage water can do huh, all from a screw penetration.

Other than this, hope all is well with you and your family.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
troyster

Hi Yanita! Yeah it has been awhile. Alls good with the family. My son just won his playoff final in soccer today to get his first gold medal.work is slowing to a standstill right now so I have time to tackle those must do before winter jobs. is it that time of the year again already? lol! How is everyone doing? Hope all is well with all the members. Will be visiting the site more often as I have time on my hands. I see there are more new members, thats excellent. well gotta go to bed soon. early to rise to finish job up tomorrow. take care folks> troyster