Older Coleman Evcon 2.5ton quit cooling

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Marster

:(

Hi there,

I've had this unit for a long time. Estimated installation was 1992. It has been a great unit.

Just today I turned it on and everything is working but the air is not cold. Is there anything I can do to figure out what is wrong? Is there a way to check and recharge if needed?

I've used it all summer without any problems or signs of failure.

Thanks,
Marster
Marster

I added the unit is a Suncutter. Sorry :oops:
Robert

Hi,

Go here and read "cleaning your a/c" and "cleaning your furnace blower". They also include cleaning the a-coil .

Try those and if it still isn't cooling, you'll need a HVAC Tech to check the charge and add if needed.

At 16 years old, it may just be on its last run, that's a better than average life span.

Do you know what the model number is ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Marster

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the section you mentioned. My set up is different from this one. Mine is a self contained Air Conditioner. Where would my A-Coil be located? And are these types of units able to be recharged? Fixed?

I looked at the plate on the side of the unit. It's so faded that I no longer can read it so I don't have a Model Number. Unless there is one located somewhere else on the unit.

It could be in need of a cleaning. Yrs ago when it was installed, the service man told me He or I never needed to do any maintenance to it. I thought that was rather odd.........but it has lasted all these years. Appreciate your help!
Robert

Hi,

The evap. coil (horizontal instead of A-coil) is outside in unit also.

You'll have 2 large flex ducts running to unit. One is return and the other is supply. The return leads to evap. coil.

If unit remains sealed and not damaged, they remain fairly clean, but do need to be checked and serviced periodically.

Yes, they can be charged if needed and repaired if parts are available.

However, that all needs to be done by an HVAC Tech.

Keep in mind though, at 16 years old, you probably won't get your monies worth on repair parts and labor , so wouldn't advise spending much on it.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Marster

Thanks again for the reply. I'll take a look at the A-coil and clean if necessary. I did the other cleaning mentioned. The air seems to be alittle cooler.....but not cool enough to cool my home.

What does it usually cost to have a technician come out to check/charge the unit? I think at this point, that may be all I'll do if the cleaning doesn't help. I have no idea since I never had any problems with the unit.

Thanks for an honest answer. I priced these units an they are a tad expensive........

Thanks again
Marster
Robert

Hi Maarster,

Because service fees differ so much from area and company, we stay clear of giving guesstimates.

Most here, fall within $45 to $99 to check it and then add more to repair and if repairs are needed, plus the cost of the refrigerant if needed.

If this just happened suddenly for first time, if it is low on charge, it must have a leak and the signs/evidence should still be visible.

Look at all copper refrigerant lines throughout unit and ends of coils.

Look for oily residue spots/stains. Should see it and feel it by touching.

Robert
Marster

Robert,

Again, thanks for the reply. Yes, this just happen very suddenly. It showed no signs of failure all summer. The unit always cooled very well.

I havent had the chance to open the unit up. Proibably wont be able to get to it till the weekend. Right now we are having cool tempertures.

Should I run the unit for awhile before I open the case? I know to disconnect the power before I open but prior to that?

The guy who installed it yrs ago, I thought said that when it goes, you just replace it. I directly asked about recharging the system each year or if I needed him to check it. He said NO, that when it goes, you just replace. I was worried becasue when I bought it was around the time they were changing the systems from Freon to some other type refridgerate and worried that mine wouldnt be able to be re-charged.

I'll let you know my findings. Hopefully it's something on the A-coil. Like maybe some insulation that got sucked through the duct work.

Thanks again for your honesty
Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

In a self-contained unit, things are sectioned, sealed and in tight quarters, so it isn't as easy to get to repair leaks.

You don't want to recharge if leak is bad without repairing.

Labor costs are high and so is refrigerant, plus any part that may be needed.

At 16 years old, it would not be cost efficient to spens a lot of $$$$ on it UNLESS that was your only feasible option.

They can be recharged and possibly repaired (leak).

If I was called to your home, I would advise replacing if at all possible, BUT could most likely get it going if needed.

Do you know if the compressor is actually running ?

Thanks,
Robert
Marster

Hi

How do I test to see if the compressor is running? I know the fan on top is running..........but how can I tell about the compressor? I wondered about that after reading different post.

This weekend I will open the case and look for the A-coil. I really hope that it's just dirty. Should I run for awhile before opening?

When I was running it, It seemed like the air that was coming out of the ducts was at the same temperture as the outside air. Not sure since I had no way of testing.....but it sure did appear that way.

Again, thanks for your help.
Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

You can feel the bigger of the two refrigerant copper lines inside unit and see if it's cold. You can also open panel to get to compressor and listen for hte humm of it running.

You can also look for the drain line pipe coming out of unit from evaporator coil and see if it is dripping water.

I would clean it if possible before running.

Thanks,
Robert
Marster

Robert,

Thanks! I'll let you know how I make out this weekend.

Thanks again!
Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

As odd as it is and them being as old as they are, but I have another customer I am helping with his Suncutter 7448 packaged unit right now.

BTW, the drain will be below and in between the two large ducts attached to unit.

IF you are facing back side of unit, the duct on your right closest to the condenser fan is the return. The evaporator coil is upright behind that inside the unit.

You can see it well to see if it needs cleaning by disconnecting the flex duct, that is if you don't have a plenum box built around the two flex ducts.

Just remove any visible panels and look at all visible copper lines for signs of leaks.

Also, just out of curiosity, you don't happen to have a wiring diagram for yours do you ?

I don't have one as for as I know, but do have a parts pictorial of it.

Anyway, that would help greatly with other gentleman, his was given to him and he can't get it running and may have it miswired.

Trying to get him a wiring diagram.

Robert
Marster

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the additional information. Today I plan on opening the unit. I'll let you know my findings.

I saw that other thread. I was wondering if it was a unit like mine. I do not have a wiring diagram. I can not locate any paperwork for the unit.....which is odd because I keep everything. I'll continue to look....if I do find anything I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

You're very welcome, happy to help. I'll be here if needed.

Thanks,
Robert