What should I use to clean?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

arbonnechick

Hello everyone!
First time poster here....my husband and I recently purchased our first manufactured home, an immaculate 2000 Patriot Home, Barton Creek Series.

We realize we have a LOT to learn, but have ordered and received Mark's excellent book and I've spent lots of time here reading the forum.

Anyway, I want to only use septic friendly cleaning products, and I realize that every product which says "septic safe" really isn't.

What are the best cleaning products to use with a septic system?
Toilet and bath cleaner?
Dishwasher detergent?
Anything else you can think of?

Thanks in advance, you guys are a lifesaver! :D

Anne

Harry

Hi

Nice looking MH.

Here's a link I found that might help: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 605AAhihzi

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
arbonnechick

Thanks very much, Harry.

In addition to being newbies regarding all things MH, we're also city dwellers who are getting accustomed to country living on our recently purchased 4 acres.

I'll be sure to post here about the inevitable Green Acres moments we're sure to have. :wink:
preppypyro

Congrats on the purchase of an acreage. Im a farm boy that got stuck living in the city for awhile then fortunatly bought a bunch of land and moved a mobile house out there too :D

For us out here, we havent really changed any of the products we normally used in our last house, and so far (knock on wood) no problems.

Word of advise for your new acreage, get a good quality riding lawn mower, with a cup holder. Mine is a older but great lawn mower, no cup holder, and that sucks!
Yanita

HI,

Use Riddex faithfully, can be found even in grocery stores. Use septic safe toilet paper, minimal amounts of bleach...DO NOT put grease down any drain.

There are a few threads on site with septic suggestions.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
shadow745

Yeah I'm a big believer in Rid-X, as something that costs maybe $5 monthly can't hurt. Most people say that a properly maintained septic system is self-sustaining, but I don't think a little extra bacteria will hurt.

I'm the same way with "green" cleaning products. Due to having severe allergies/asthma and going from city to country living I've parted ways with bleach and other caustic cleaners. I now use products like the Clorox Greenworks (spelling?) because they do work well and are really safe. Another thing I recently tried is a foaming toilet cleaner made by Kaboom and it works great and smells nice. One more thing, aside from giving up bleach based cleaners another thing to consider is a "green" biodegradeable dishwasher detergent if you have one. Later!
Yanita

Hey folks,

I am going to move this to the Off Topic forum...thought I already did, as you know this is not a repair question, more of a preventative maintenance thing.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
arbonnechick

Thanks to all who replied, I've been on the lookout for many of the products you've suggested. Oh, and we're already firmly on the Rid-ex bandwagon!