Older Coleman Evcon 2.5ton quit cooling

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Marster

Hi Robert,

Just opened the unit and I'm alittle lost..........but some good news. Inside the wiring, I found the wiring diragram.....with the model number. My model number is 7430a601 (Bristol)

I opened the case to expose what is there on the right side of the unit. It looks like a big fan. Diagram calls it a Evaporator Blower motor. There was a little nest in there. I took it out and noticed there was wettness inside. Not real bad but wet. If I am standing behind the unit, this was the right side. Am I at the right place to find the A-Coil?

I scanned the diagram and saved it as a BMP file and one as a JPEG. I have no idea how to upload it into the site. I'll gladly post it for you to help this other fellow out.......and now maybe since I have a model number, it will help me as well.

Still have no clue if the compressor is humming. I can't hear for the noise of the fans. I didnt see any oily lines or leaks....and things really didnt look real dirty. Mostly spider webs and old coccoons an such........so I'm alittle lost.

Going to run it now just to see if it acts any different. I'm really not sure if I found what is called the A-Coil or not. Hope the model number helps.

Marster
Marster

Hopefully this will work. The BMP was a better picture. It could be enlarged but I didnt see where that file type was acceptable.

Marster
Marster

Hopefully this is larger. If not, sorry for dupicating.

Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

Yours is a different model than the other, so the wiring diagram may be different also, thanks though as it may help some.

Ok, I pulled your unit up and it is just listed as a packaged a/c unit, doesn't say it is a Suncutter, though it may be.

Anyway, if you stand behind the unit facing it, the large flex duct connected on the right, if you remove BOTH ducts, then the panel, the area behind the duct on right, that is the alley way taking return air to evaporator coil.

If you look up in there slanting to the left, you'll see the evap. coil, looks like a car radiator.

That is the inward side and the side that needs to be clean.

A good test is have someone shine a light around on it and someone else remove the end panel to your left and see if they see the light shining through to the blower motor housing there.

You can trace the wires from the condenser fan motor to contactor and run capacitor and after marking where they go, remove them with power OFF.

Then set t-stat for call for cooling and see if compressor starts up and runs. With fan motor disconnected you can hear compressor.

Only do this for a second to hear yes or no on compressor running.

Then turn off power again and reconnect wires.

You can call toll free after 9 AM CST to 1-877-263-7860 and order a parts diagram to get a visual pictorial of your unit.

It is $15 and can be emailed to you .

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Marster

Hi Robert,

Yes, mine is a suncutter. I know this for sure due to it being stamped on the outside of the unit. I hope the diagram helps you with this other fellow.

Ok, I did find the evaporator coil. It was clean. When you said it looked like a radiator...I knew I saw it.

I'll try disconnecting the power to the fan just to see if the compressor is running. Not sure when I'll be able to get to it...but will try to do as soon as possible.

Again, thanks for your help.
Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

Holler when your ready, I'll be here. Been away for 2 days with computer issues, but my wife is setting up my new laptop I got today, so should be back to norm soon.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Marster

Hi Robert,

It has been awhile since we discussed this problem. I wanted to give you an update. My furnace shut down and I had my furnace guy come out. While he was here I told him about the AC unit. He checked the compressor and it is kicking on. However there is no freon left in the unit which does indicate a leak. Since it's winter and was raining the day he was here, he was unable to do a pressure check. Once spring comes, he will do a pressure check.

Can all leaks be repaired if they're small no matter where they may be?? I hate to replace the unit with another coleman when the compressor is still working.

Do you know the cost of a 2.5 ton coleman?

Thanks again for your help.
Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

Depends on where the leak is and the size. Some you can repair, some you can't, some you just recharge every year because it is so small.

Do not have any prices on equipment. I get it as needed for an install and it varies by product, company, location.

Try to fix leak, if not, charge it up and see how it does and how much it loses over time determines how bad it is.

Thanks,
Robert
Marster

Robert,

Thanks. Sounds like a fair accessment. My furnace guy (which is the same guy who installed the unit) did say they do not hold much freon.......just a shame it isnt something I could test myself.

Here's hoping it's a small doable repair! I rather buy one off season then to wait till closer to summer. I was always taught not to buy a umbrella when it was raining.

Thanks for all your help.

Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

Buy furnace in spring and summer.

Buy a/c in fall and winter.

Buy package units in spring and fall, preferrably fall.

Mix up soap and water and spray good on all joints and watch for bubbles.

Look for oil stains at all joints.

IF it has all leaked out, won't be any pressure to produce the bubbles.

Robert
Marster

Hi Robert,

With spring being right around the corner. I am starting to think about my A/C problem. I havent had the unit tested yet for leaks. I have been watching for used units......and surprising enough there are many!

With this comes so much confusion. When I talk to folks who are selling one, I just ask if it has two big lines coming out of it for air exhange. Based on their replies, I am not giving them the proper name or description........and by looking at the pictures, I am at a loss.

I feel very stupid but there are several types and I have no idea what mine is called. Is it an air handler, condenser unit or something else??? I know it doesnt have a heat pump so that is easy enough to understand.

Could you please give me an idea of the name or type of unit this is called. It would make looking so much easier as well as when I call to talk to the seller.

Again, thanks for all your help. I really appreicate it!!!

Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

It is a Packaged A/C Unit (all a/c components are in outside unit).

Thanks,
Robert
Marster

Robert,

Thanks so much for your help. Now I wont feel so stupid.

Marster
Robert

Hi Marster,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Robert
Marster

Hi there,

Wanted to give an update on my older coleman suncutter. My heating and cooling guy was out yesterday and cleaned the unit real good. He said it only had 35#'s of pressure left in it so he put 100#'s in it and looked for a leak. No leak could be found and after 3 hrs the pressure did not drop. He also added a dye in the freon so he could find the leak better.......no luck at this time. So he said just to run it. If it looses pressure again, he's hoping he will be able to find where it's at. I totally trust this guy and feel he's doing all he can to keep this unit running. He also said everything appears to be working well. ( compressor, fans) even though it's an old unit.

So I guess time will tell. Any thoughts?

Marster