Coleman Model 7970C856

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Drahz

I have a Coleman Model 7970C856, standing pilot style and no a/c, just the furnace. The burner shuts off after like 30 seconds of burning. The pilot and everything shuts down. Usually, the blower will come on right after the burner stops. I read in past posts to check the voltage to the valve to see if it loses power or any fluctuation. There was none. I had 25.1v on the gas valve the whole time, even when it cut off, and also when the blower came on. It stayed a steady voltage. So, I went on the roof to check for any venting restrictions and found nothing. I replaced the high-limit just in case, but it didn't make a difference. There doesn't seem to be any other parts to check! LoL! I could really use some advice. Hope to hear from someone soon!
Robert

Hi,

Replace the thermocouple and if it does it still after that, you'll need an hvac tech to test gas valve.

If needed, we have a thermocouple in the coleman gas furnace store page that can be ordered through PayPal.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Drahz

Thanks for responding. I forgot to mention, the first thing I did was replace the thermocouple. That was my first thought, but it didn't help :( . Looks like a new gas valve is needed, eh? Besides the valve, could there be any other possibilities? Like I said, there don't seem to be any other parts to even check. It looks like a fairly simple system.
Robert

Hi,

On the gas valve, it's cut and dried. IF it has correct input gas pressure and full 24vac to gas valve, it should have correct manifold pressure.

With a new thermocouple, check those pressures or replace on a chance the pressure is good.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?