Tiled back splash

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Cleo

Thanks Yanita. There's vinyl wallboard in the kitchen as well. It is so 70's (fruits and veggies) that I wanted to install tile. Does this vinyl mean I can't install tiles as a backsplash?
Yanita

Hi Cleo,

This is a different question altogether. I am going to split this from the original thread.

I try to keep one topic per thread on the repair forum. The thread will be titled "Tiled back splash"

Please follow me there.

Yanita.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Yanita

OK, yes you can still install a tiled back splash.

Knowing nothing about your home though or the area that you live generally we don't recommend tile installations. Sorry, I have not checked to see if you have completed a profile. :oops:

There are many here that have done this successfully, and as many that have not been successful. As a home owner that will be your choice. There are many threads on the pro's and con's of tiles in mobile homes.

I think Greg has pics in his personal album and I know in the decorating forum of his tiled counter and back splash.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

There is a sheet product that is the equivalent of 4 inch white tile, but you cannot let it soak in water.

I used it in a bathroom wall, the repair fellow installed it about 3/8 above the floor, and then put water proof white trim (made of molded pvc) up against it.

it is shiny, and looks good, but you cannot use abrasive cleaners on it. it is easy to install, (glue up like a shower install) could be cut with the circular saw, did the job for the application I had, which was we opened up a wall to fix drain pipes
if the pipes fail, we left an access point behind the sink.

Brenda
Greg

Cleo, The way I did it was by adding a 1x6 ripped down to allow for tile & oak cap, It will end up about 4 1/2". screw the 1x to the studs and glue the tiles to it, then cap with the oak trim. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Cleo

Thanks Greg. I'm not quite sure I follow you. Do you mean that you built up the wall (it wasn't strong enough to hold the tile) with 1/6's? So if the backsplash was 12 inches tall you have 2 1/6's? I don't understand where the 4 1/2" comes in.
Greg

Perhaps this will help .Image

The 1x just spaces the tile away from the wall to allow for the oak trim. Greg
Cleo

Okay, now I get it. A picture is worth a thousand words. How do I find the studs?
Greg

If it is the factory walls you can usually look close and see the stapels, some times you can knock accross the wall and hear the stud, or try a stud finder. Greg