Coleman propane conversion

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

JRT

I have a DGAT075BDF furnace. The conversion sticker for LP shows to flip the "pressure regulator device" from natural gas to LP with the LP label being closest to the valve, and appears to screw into the inlet of the gas valve. Mine only has a standard male/male adapter attaching the flex tubing to the gas valve. I wondered if the outdoor whole house LP regulator from the gas company was sufficient or is someting needed at the furnace to further regulate the pressure? Is changing the orifice and adjusting air flow the only item required?

Also, the heat exchanger was replaced under the DGAT program last year as my original had cracked. When looking at the instructions I see that the orifice should have been reduced from 098 to 0935 at sea level, but I still seem to have the original 098 installed. I noticed this because the new tag they installed claims the input is now 64,000 down from 75,000, but cannot figure out how that changed without decreasing the gas flow.

All work has been performed by professionals. It was set up 8 years ago. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
JRT

I answered the first one with better glasses and a bright light when I saw the lettering on the brass stem sticking out the top of the valve.
Robert

Hi,

.098 is correct original LP orifice. Are you sure that is still what is there ?

The .093 would look aweful similar.

IF .098 IS what is there and it says it should be .093, I'd call them on it.

I don't know all the details of what all is done on these cases, but do know that the furnace input/output is reduced once repair is complete.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JRT

It would seem to be a big drop in output from original which was not explained beforehand in the DGAT repair program. I'd assume the factory sized the furnace to the 2175 sq ft home and the DGAT program downsized output without consideration.

My repair techs may have not swapped orifice in order to keep me from an undersized situation. Since no changes are made to reduce blower speed I cannot imagine the inlet/ outlet temps are not altered by decreasing the output BTU's. Have you seen issues caused by the downsize?

Is there a standard heat pump/ AC setup that would work with this existing cabinet? I've got a 3.5 ton 10 SEER A/C and am looking to get more efficient, but keep the propane for the coldest weather when the heat pump efficiency drops. Thanks.
Robert

Hi,

I do not do any warranty work and have had no personal dealings with anyone who has had this recall repair done, aside from here in the forum.

With that said, it is my understanding that this happens in all the repairs and is a much talked about complaint from customers having had it done.

You can get a heat pump with a higher seer rating to fit with your furnace.

Having a heat pump with the LP furnace back up, you will need a dual fuel kit.

If it is a normal MH brand, it will be designed to work with MH furnaces and fit easily.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?