Suggestions for winterizing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lesleedia

Well, the time has come to get ready for winter here in Michigan. Was hoping for tips on saving energy and retaining heat in the winter. I am putting the insulation in the outlets. Not sure if I should cover the a/c unit. The old owner used to put mulch all around the outside to reduce drafts. How about some tips and tricks. What do you all do to get ready for the cold? Thanks for all the tips in advance!
Leslee
Harry

Hi

Here's an energy saving article by Mark Bower.

http://mobilehomerepair.com/article17solar.htm

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Some of the quickest, cheapest and easiest methods are caulking and insulation.

Now is the time to check all caulking around doors and windows. If it appears crack or dried out, remove it and apply new.

You mentioned the switch insulators, don't forget the outlets as well. This only needs to be done on the ones on exterior walls.

Check the seals on your doors and windows these wear out over time as well.

Broken windows, replace them or get ready to cover with plastic, many folks do that anyways.

I love spray foam insulation. I have gone so far as pulling up the escutcheons from the water lines under the sinks and sprayed foam down there, also around the dryer vent.

I have also removed all register covers and made sure that the vents are attached to the subfloor and then taped over the edges. This ascertains that all heat comes into the home instead of blowing under the carpets or vinyl flooring.

Make sure the underbelly of your home is sealed up tight and all insulation is in place. Close the skirting vents.

Check your water supply heat tape.

Many folks play the curtain game, open heavy drapes when the sun is shining close when it gets dark or before.

Probably one of the most important things you can do is make sure that your heating unit gets a service call at least once a year. Preventative maintenance goes along ways! Make sure the filters are clean and the closet area it sits in is as well.

There are many past threads on tips, but I am sure many will reply with what works for them.

Two current threads are about banking your home with snow, this is a free insulator and another about insulating your skirting.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
preppypyro

Im not sure how cold it gets where you live, but where I live it gets cold!

I chose to not insulate the shirting I installed. The reason for this, is I did a little research, and there are some people out there that claim if you do not have some source of heat under your mobile, the insulation on the skirting will actually act like a fridge, and keep it colder underneath.

Now whether this is true or not, I dont know. Last winter we had really poor temporary skirting installed, non insulated, and we only had a water line freeze a couple times. Once the skirting shifted and let the cold wind blow right on the water line, after the wind blew the insulation away! The other time was when we temporarily fixed the insulation around the utility entrance, and it just fell down. (got er all patched up this year though :D)

We actually got a energy saving company out to test our home. He told us to use those child proof plugs in the outlets. He pointed out a few places where air was getting in, and suggested ways for us to repair them. We put plastic over our windows (the guy said that this works just as well and is cheaper then replacing to a better style of window)

One thing we would like to do, but wont have time till next year, is to really insulate the water line well, and remove the heat tape completely, or leave it there for emergency only.
Dean2

I'm in NE IA and it can get plenty cold/windy here too,-20F isn't all that uncommon. Skirting insulation to stop cold isn't near as important as good water pipe insulation,AKA "pipewrap",and good electric heat-tape. Now if the insulation were to be rigid and with a heat-reflective foil face facing outwards it may help to keep a well sealed skirting cooler in summer,the foil supposedly reflects radiant heat,not only direct light.

All the above is IMO,,,,YMMV.

Dean

Yanita wrote:
I have also removed all register covers and made sure that the vents are attached to the subfloor and then taped over the edges. This ascertains that all heat comes into the home instead of blowing under the carpets or vinyl flooring.
Didn't even think of that one !! Thanks !!
Yanita

LOL,

Your welcome...

I am the one that maintains the bills in this home, although my heating bill has been reasonable I seem to be on a mission to find even more energy saving tips!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!