removing wall panel battens in cold climates

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark R

I'm new to the forum and new to mobile homes, just closed and moved in last Tuesday!

Here's my question (many to follow I'm sure, what a great forum!) I've poked around here a bit and have read that removing the battens hiding the wall panel seams can be problematic in cold climates. I live in Gunnison county, it is said that this is actually the coldest county on average in the continental US!

Are there any techniques (that are cheap and doable for an only slightly handy person) for removing the battens without having cracking down the road?

I'm open to all options for how to do the walls after the battens are gone, just really want them off the walls if it's feasible.

Thanks!

Mark
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

In my opinion removing the battens are really dependent on what your ground conditions are and what type of foundation your home sits on. Since you live in a very cold region and have just moved in then you have yet to spend a winter in your home.

When the ground freezes and creates frost heaves our homes shift. This holds true if we get alot of rain or even extremely dry conditions effect some homes.

Has this home just been set up or has it been in it's location for at least a year? What type of foundation is your home on, piers or sitting on below the frost line footers?

If recently placed I would give the home at least one winter to see how much shifting takes place before I removed the battens, this will determine what might be the best "filler" to use.

Some will recommend flexible caulking others will recommend spackling or joint compound, none are wrong. But each has a different effect when it comes to the shifting of your home. Also some of the gaps between your wall board panels can be a 1/2 inch. That is quite a gap to fill at times.

You have probably read in other threads that my biggest complaint with removing the battens is it is nearly impossible to mimic the slight texture that is already embossed on the wallboard...look closely.

There are many threads with various wall texturing techniques, or you can just fill the gaps and hope for the best...I know not very encouraging.

Thanks for the compliments about the site. There are lots of great folks here always willing to help and share what they have done in their homes.

Look forward to your future contributions on the site.

Yanita

PS, I am going to move this to the decorating forum, we reserve this forum for repairs only. Please follow along...
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!